Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

not sure how I would feel about this.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:32 AM
  • 24 Replies

a few pictures fine but 154 posed and in different outfits is creepy especially when she said she wanted no pictures taken.

http://wap.wlwt.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=226&nid=49573798

Mother Sues Hospital Over Photos Of Dead Son

Story posted 2011.05.20 at 05:19 PM EDT

WLWT.COM MOBILE News

Heather Werth said she was devastated when her son, Joey, died in the hospital 16 weeks after he was born premature. But she said even more devastating was that someone sent her a photo album filled with pictures of her son taken after he died.

"I had memories of Joey. I don't have those anymore. They've been replaced by this," Werth said pointing to the photo album.

Good Samaritan Hospital and unknown employees of the hospital are named as defendants in the lawsuit.

Werth said she told hospital officials that she didn't want any pictures taken of her son after he died.

Instead, she received the album with 154 pictures in it. Werth said Joey was placed in more than 20 poses.

"He was treated like a doll. He was flipped and he was flopped. He was dressed and he was undressed. He was put in a blanket. He was posed. He was laying on his belly. He was laying on his back," Werth said.

Werth is suing for emotional distress, abuse of a corpse and negligent supervision by Good Samaritan Hospital.

"To me, they played with him. And this was something that didn't take five minutes to do. They played with him for a long time," she said. "I held him when he passed and I should have been the last person to bond with him."

A representative for Good Samaritan Hospital said they would not comment on the lawsuit. They also wouldn't say whether the practice of taking pictures after death is a standard practice at the hospital.

Werth said she will destroy the pictures once the lawsuit is settled.

"Every day I see these pictures in my head. It's the first thing I think of when I get up, and it's the last thing I think of when I go to bed," Werth said.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crazymama0286
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:33 AM

BUMP!

Justine1123
by Justine on May. 21, 2011 at 4:36 AM
Hmm okay I have never lost a child but I think I would at least want a picture I don't think they did it to hurt her. Not sure how I feel about this I can't say she's overreacting bc I've never been where she is. I don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.BAT
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:43 AM

Omg... Ok, I can understand maybe one or two pictures, if she didn't have any before he passed, but that is ridiculous and I hope she wins the suit. I haven't lost a child, so I can't even imagine how she's feeling about this, but I can say that I really don't think I would want THAT. If taking pictures is standard there, they REALLY need to crack down more on making sure that pictures are requested and the like... My heart goes out to her :(

crazymama0286
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:48 AM

Yeah I have no idea if the pictures are standard. I know they don't do that for living newborns. I had my ds at that hospital its actually one of the top hospitals to give birth in in the country.

Quoting Mrs.BAT:

Omg... Ok, I can understand maybe one or two pictures, if she didn't have any before he passed, but that is ridiculous and I hope she wins the suit. I haven't lost a child, so I can't even imagine how she's feeling about this, but I can say that I really don't think I would want THAT. If taking pictures is standard there, they REALLY need to crack down more on making sure that pictures are requested and the like... My heart goes out to her :(

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

masonmomma
by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:50 AM
They do it here but only if the parents sign a consent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommywife06
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:11 AM
I don't understand how she is feeling, but I do know 154 pictures is not something I would want. And if I said no pictures I wouldn't want pictures
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whoreallycares
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:18 AM

That is just horrible, that fact she wasnt even wanting this. So sad.

nessy1980
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM

They should of listened to her wishes. I hate to say it. I understand what they did in there eyes was nice but at the end the mom has to decide.

LCG83
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:28 AM
That is sick if you ask me!! That poor woman! They had no business abusing her baby's body like that! Then to top it off by sending her the images. Ugh. I can't even imagine. I would be mortified. Poor woman has been through enough. I hope she wins every penny of what she is asking for! They had no right to do that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheshireCat420
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:53 AM
154 posed pictures? A reputable hospital? Something is not adding up here. I hate to accuse the woman of being sue happy, but this just seems suspicious to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)