• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insomnia help please

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:25 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have the hardest time falling asleep and staying asleep. Everynight I switch rooms to sleep. I cant sleep straight anymore. I have no insurance so I cant get Ambien. I really dont know what to do. I dont want to get drunk everynight just to get a good nights sleep. Someone please help.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.BAT
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Try yoga intended for before bed, meditation and teas. There are also OTC sleep pills, but you aren't supposed to use things like that regularly. Cut out any caffeine except in the mornings. Exercising during the day can help you sleep better, also, but don't be super active shortly before bed.

Turn off as many lights as you can, and don't watch TV or get on your computer at LEAST one hour before you need to go to bed. To entertain yourself for the last little bit, try reading by a lamp. The more artificial lights you have, the more your brain will think it needs to be awake, especially when they're really bright and/or close to you (as with a computer). Oh and I've also seen herbal sleep pills (with things like teas have in them, only in capsule or tablet form). Setting a schedule couldn't hurt, either (going to bed and getting up around the same time, every day).

I've had horrible insomnia since I  was a little kid, so I mostly just deal with it, but  these things definitely help if I actually stick to them.

LilyTmomof1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:34 AM

I always lay down with a cup of hot tea about an hour before bed. It gets me tired and I usually fall asleep soon after I'm done!

nessy1980
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Thank you I am so beyond tired of it. My husband is like why dont you sleep I am like its not that easy.

Mrs.BAT
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Oh, and using something that plays noise like rain falling, water running, etc. can also help with sleep, especially if you need noise to fall asleep. Avoid things like music, though. And i'm pretty sure that studies have shown that having electronic devices near your bed (laptops, TVs, stereos, etc.) can sap your energy and make you sleep worse, also.

Mrs.BAT
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:36 AM

I totally understand. Mine says the same thing to me, and gripes about it lol, but I can't help it. I really hope you find some relief! I know how horrible insomnia is :(

Quoting nessy1980:

Thank you I am so beyond tired of it. My husband is like why dont you sleep I am like its not that easy.

LCG83
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:37 AM
Try some Hylands Nerve Tonic. Homeopathic and sold otc for less than $10 at most places. It's a safe non habit forming pill but it does help

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LilyTmomof1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:40 AM

Quoting Mrs.BAT:

Try yoga intended for before bed, meditation and teas. There are also OTC sleep pills, but you aren't supposed to use things like that regularly. Cut out any caffeine except in the mornings. Exercising during the day can help you sleep better, also, but don't be super active shortly before bed.

Turn off as many lights as you can, and don't watch TV or get on your computer at LEAST one hour before you need to go to bed. To entertain yourself for the last little bit, try reading by a lamp. The more artificial lights you have, the more your brain will think it needs to be awake, especially when they're really bright and/or close to you (as with a computer). Oh and I've also seen herbal sleep pills (with things like teas have in them, only in capsule or tablet form). Setting a schedule couldn't hurt, either (going to bed and getting up around the same time, every day).

I've had horrible insomnia since I  was a little kid, so I mostly just deal with it, but  these things definitely help if I actually stick to them.

All of those are great ideas but I hightlighted the ones in red that *I* know work and I do! 

MommaNoonoo
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:41 AM
Melatonin, maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nessy1980
by on May. 21, 2011 at 6:41 AM

I am going to try that too. My sleep gets messed up because everynight I go to bed later and later. I have tried going to sleep I just lay there.

Quoting LCG83:

Try some Hylands Nerve Tonic. Homeopathic and sold otc for less than $10 at most places. It's a safe non habit forming pill but it does help

LCG83
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:00 AM
I have very very bad anxiety and insomnia and these actually help. I take 2 at bedtime. They also have one that is a sleep aid. I get them at WalMart. Most drugstores *should* carry them.

Quoting nessy1980:

I am going to try that too. My sleep gets messed up because everynight I go to bed later and later. I have tried going to sleep I just lay there.

Quoting LCG83:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)