Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Mom, I'm almost 18 years old, yes, I'm smoking!" How would you react?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:27 AM
  • 107 Replies

The other day, my son, who will in fact be 18 in about 6 months,came into my room with a cigarette tucked behind his ear. I asked him what was up with it, and he says, "oh, the cigarette." So I asked him if he was smoking,and to just be honest with me. And,that's when he said what I put in the title. I could forbid him,and watch his every move for the next 6 months, but when he turns 18, he'd just do it anyway, and hate me on top of it. I asked him where he's getting them,and he said mostly bumming from other people. So, his dad and I told him, although we don't like it, ultimately, it's his body. He knows the family history (heart attacks, COPD, lung cancer), and he knows the health risks. I guess at least it's not drugs, even though I'm not happy about the cigarettes. There are so many more horrible things he could be doing, he works everyday, just got his 1st car, and is actually doing pretty well, so I guess if this is the worst thing he's doing, I can live with it. Do you think I reacted ok? What would you do? 

by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emeraldangel20
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:29 AM

well he was honest about it. you reacted okay its not like you can really stop him

rennez
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:31 AM
Getting pissed wouldn't fix the problem. I think you reacted fine. Id tell him he cang smoke at home tho
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaydensMom42009
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:32 AM
You did just fine mamma!! That's about how it was with me and I started when I was 15. I'm 20 now and I quit when I was 19...eventually he'll realize it's getting expensive...not only with his $ but health too! *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysticalmalissa
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I think you handled it very well.

MommyBoha
by Country Girl on May. 21, 2011 at 8:32 AM

this.

Quoting emeraldangel20:

well he was honest about it. you reacted okay its not like you can really stop him

LittleMB

MIL bought DH his first pack of cigs.

She told him straight up that if he was going to smoke she just wanted to know about it and he needed to buy it himself not get it off of others (bc the first time he took it from afriend and she wanted him to know that she was there for him and if he chose to smoke he could but she warned him as well)

-Shelley-
I would ask my child what was so appealing about slowly killing themselves and smelling disgusting. I hope my kids don't pick up that habit, I'll probably nag them to death about it. Good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jaydons_mommy09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:33 AM
I would shoe him what a lung looks like when the person smoke.
MommeeTo4
I wouldn't buy them and support his habit, but you said he works & will be 18 soon, he will more than likely go behind your back, I wouldn't allow it near or in my home , I'd make it difficult for him to do it around me in the least because I know he would do it otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KandiceN

That's really all you can do cause he's going to anyway.  Trust me. lol

I'd just lay some ground rules, NO smoking in your house, or car, ect.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)