Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We are getting PA and I am not even close to low income.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:52 AM
  • 52 Replies

So, we are getting ready to get PA in my family and we are not considered low income.

Because of my son's deteriorating mental health, they are going to waive my income and provide my son medicaid based off of his income alone.  Obviously, he does not have income.

They are doing this to open up certain resources to him to provide him what is called HCBS services here in Kansas that will provide him with Targeted Case Management.  It will also pay for me to receive respite where the state will pay a provide to watch my nearly 16 year old son out of the home for so many hours a month to give him and my family a break from all the frustration and tension that comes along with having someone with a mental illness in the home.  Of course, the Medicaid portion will also cover his medical bills and residential treatment if needed.  We have Tricare, so Medicaid would cover the remainder.

How do you feel about income guidelines being waived to families in crisis?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RedRozeMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:55 AM
I see no problem with it. If it will get him the help he needs without the financial burden, accept the help without guilt and run with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.thickie.thick.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:55 AM
Eh if it helps the people...why not?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pooobaihr
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:57 AM

CRISIS....  Its the word of the day. Means they're seriously going to need that help and should swallow whatever pride they may have and jump on that shit. There's no telling what all can happen during this moment in time and that help can be extremely beneficial if something were to happen.

smarshy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I think that it is wonderful that they are willing to help you out...Unless you are making a billion kagillion dollars, then I don't see a problem! :D

Random thing to note: Medicare will pay first, TriWest will pay the remainder. TriWest also provides case management if you are interested... I don't know what DHS is like in KS, but if they suck like they do in IA and CO, you might want to call and see what they can do for him.

lisa601
by on May. 21, 2011 at 8:59 AM

I don't have a problem with it.  I'm glad the families that need the help are getting it.

WendyJR
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:00 AM
I think it's great that they will do that so people can get the help they need. Both family and patient that they wouldn't be able to get otherwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaunalynn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I think this is the sort of thing that Public Assistance was created for. This is the reason we have PA. To help families in crisis.

By the way, I'm sorry your son is having problems. I hope he gets the treatment that he needs.

PookaboosMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM
I think its awesome that they are willing to allow you to get that kind of help. How did you find out that was possible. We searched many avenues in trying to help my mentally ill stepdaughter but in the end what always stopped from getting the help she needed most was the fact that we couldn't afford it. Kudos.....I hope it helps! Good luck with everything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Quoting RedRozeMom:

I see no problem with it. If it will get him the help he needs without the financial burden, accept the help without guilt and run with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dotsicle
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:08 AM

That wouldn't happen in my state. We can't even get needed medical help for a family member because the state has no funds, and we ARE poverty level.

At least Kansas has help for those who need it and are judging on a case- by- case basis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)