Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DIY Trail Mix

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM
  • 17 Replies

We will be going on a much needed vacation in a week. I am going to let my girls (5 and 6 yrs old) build their own snack packs for the trip. One of the things that I want to do is set up a DIY trail mix center where they can take a large zipper bag and fill it with their very own trail mix concoction.

I know it's easier to just go to the store and buy bags of trail mix, but they tend to pick through that and only eat what they like - leaving about half of it untouched.

I have some ideas for the DIY center, but would love to get some input from others.

What would be good for this?

-----------------------

**I plan to set up bowls ont he table, each with a spoon, so they can put one or two spoonfuls of each item into their bag. Here's the list of what I already plan to have available for them to choose from.**

cashews, peanuts, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, golden raisins, craisins, honey nut cheerios,

ETA - They are creating their own snack box for the week, too. They both want apples, carrots, broccoli, and grapes in their snack box. The little one wants clementines. They both want chocolate chip cookies and hershey bars, too. (lol)

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilyrose73
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:18 AM
What about dried fruit, like banana or pineapple?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PookaboosMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM
Pretzels maybe....to help balance the sweets
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaunalynn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM

:(

They won't eat the dried fruit except the gold raisins and craisins.

Quoting lilyrose73:

What about dried fruit, like banana or pineapple?

Shaunalynn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Oooh - Good idea. The 5 yr old likes those.

Quoting PookaboosMom:

Pretzels maybe....to help balance the sweets

pookah1203
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM
Definately dried fruit. And makr a rule, if you get a scoop of candy- you muat have two scoops of healthy stuff.
Pretzels are also a good one, so are chex cereal, or cheerios.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilyrose73
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM
Goldfish?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shaunalynn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:25 AM

GOOD ONE. Did not think of those at all!!!

Quoting lilyrose73:

Goldfish?

Shaunalynn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for the tips. They are very good at eating healthy.

The trail mix is also only part of what we are doing. They are going to have their very own "snack box" for the entire week. We sat down yesterday and made a list of things they want in their boxes. They both want apples, and the little one wants clementines. They both want carrots, too.

Quoting pookah1203:

Definately dried fruit. And makr a rule, if you get a scoop of candy- you muat have two scoops of healthy stuff.

pookah1203
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM
Lol, i only said it, cause i know how mine are. Theyd pick the raisans, some peanuts and candy.

Quoting Shaunalynn:

Thanks for the tips. They are very good at eating healthy.

The trail mix is also only part of what we are doing. They are going to have their very own "snack box" for the entire week. We sat down yesterday and made a list of things they want in their boxes. They both want apples, and the little one wants clementines. They both want carrots, too.

Quoting pookah1203:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pookah1203
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 9:30 AM
Oh, and didnt see you listed cheerios already, haha.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)