Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever organized a block party in your neighborhood?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

Our family lives in the neighborhood dh and I grew up in. It's a quiet neighborhood. We don't go to church(our area is primarily LDS), however, we have some really nice neighbors. I've been wanting to organize a block party during the summer for a couple of years now. It would be nice to get to know some of the people around us. Have you ever organized a block party? What did you do to get the word out? I believe there are a couple of families that would help organize it with me...any input would be appreciated.

formerly luv2wahm....

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
creationary
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Sounds fun but expensive. How would you keep costs reasonable?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
km1970
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I was thinking of having 2-3 people bring grills to a central location...each family can bring their own meat to have cooked or to cook themselves. Everyone can bring a side dish to share. If I could find enough people to donate, we could rent a couple of bounce houses to have set up...again, I have never done this so I was wanting to get ideas from people who have.

Quoting creationary:

Sounds fun but expensive. How would you keep costs reasonable?

formerly luv2wahm....

Aislinn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:19 AM

It would be a lonely party.. Maybe some moose would show up? The porcupines and the skunk would definitely show... lol No advice so here is a bump! lol

kjoarcik
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:20 AM

That sounds like a really fun idea! I haven't done one, but here's a bump!

LilyTmomof1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Maybe hand out flyers. Like put one in every ones mail box or on their door explaining that you want to throw a block party but need some help! 

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Yes I did. I first asked the neighb ors I knew best if they would be interested. Which thankfully they were. We made a flyer up that had a "meeting night " at my house on it where we could "plan" the event. Each house on our street got one. Maybe 5/6  people showed up. We deiced to have each family provide thier own meat & booze. Each family also was to make 1 dish to feed  12 people. Each family was also assigned to make a dessert. We decided at that time that each of us at the "planning night" would be in charge os a certain area.Start & End time etc.We had two couples whose children were grown. They were told to invite thier children and grandkids.

Games, music, spreading the word and  recording food , setup, cleanup, Permit from town to block off our street and music until midnight.

We were able to black our street . we set up the "food site" 1/2 way down the street on neighbors front yard. We had 4 grills and 4 husbands willing to man them. all the food was set out  buffett style. Neighbors brought their patio sets to this front yard so we could all eat together.

two of our neighbors have pools which they opened to the group. Everyone that had  children IN the pool had to have an adult at the pool.  It worked out great.

The "game" person came up with . Big wheel race down the street, egg on spoon race, we had badmitin and volley ball nets in 2 back yards , Croquet in another. We had bubbles, side walk chalk, , horse shoes,  and   bouncy house.

We had music from steroes in front of another house. By night we had line dancing and some of the older adults teaching us younger ones dances from the 50s., 60 and up. We played all kinds of music. People had thier own selections  to share. The only rules was it had to be "kid" friendly.

It was a GREAT Party. Those with older kids watched the younger ones at night. I offered up my house for movies and sleepover. We had 2 teen girls that ran if for us. Those of us with children chippes in and paid them.

Our Party was a huge success !!

BananaMuffins
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I've never organized one, but I've been to them before and they're a ton of fun!

I'd do a pot-luck style one (to keep food/drink costs down). Then, I'd either have everyone bring their own chairs to set up, or rent tables/chairs from a party rental place. If fireworks are legal in your area, you could light off fireworks, have bounce houses for the kids, etc. Those are some things we've done at block parties in the past and they've been a ton of fun (and not too expensive since everyone pitches in).

FooLynRoo
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:25 AM

You can start with organizing a small cocktail party at your home - to all who's interested in the block party - to take down ideas and dates suggested. Form a comitee of all who want to help.

Organize a door knock to collect signatures to get the permit to block the street

Organize a door knock to collect money for the agreed group activities provided. of all the homes who did sign the block party request.

Last make up flyers and give them to each house - letting them know dates, times, and activities and encourage them to have their friends and families over - to bbq - and participate.

We always had a bounce house - sometimes a charector stop by (bat man, superman etc) water baloon fights, relay races. THen at night a DJ would come.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)