Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

something about PA I dint know

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have 3 kids 2 with dh my oldest with my ex,my oldest is 12 has autism and I could never get her good help because dh makes to much for medicaid.after finally giving up, my youngest got sick and had to be admitted to childrens .It was there I met a very nice woman who thought we may have qualified for insurance for the kids only .as we talked I mentioned my oldest dd and she said by law they can not count dh income for her only mine since she is not his,not one single caseworker ever told me this I even asked them and they always said no.anyways she got me the insurance for the kids,6 months later when I went for the apt to make sure they still could get it I asked caseworker about my oldest and she says yep thats true.even if my 2 youngest cant get insurance my oldest will have it untill she is 18 because they can not count dh income for her only mine or if her dad worked and could carry insurance on her,,I was glad yet upset that no one told me this,all those years she could have got help and I never knew it.I hope my story can help someone else,if u have kids by another man and they say your dh makes to much really look into your case.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Usually it goes by household income so I am not surprised they told you that. I didn't know there was a loophole if u had a kid by someone else.

Justine1123
by Justine on May. 21, 2011 at 10:30 AM
Glad she has it now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:31 AM

Im not sure she is correct. I have 2 by another man and 2 by my DH. Before we were married his income did not count towards my case with my oldest 2 but did with the younger ones. Once we married, that changed and his income counted not only for welfare, but also for my oldest childs SSI.

lovetocook64
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Quoting carterscutie85:

Usually it goes by household income so I am not surprised they told you that. I didn't know there was a loophole if u had a kid by someone else.

I dint ithere,and I even told thim I dint think it was fair for her since she isnt even his but yet they still said she couldnt get anything,it wasnt untill I told my caseworker that the lady from childrens said if my oldest dint qulify that she would be contacing them then the caseworker says oh yea thats the law since he isnt her father she qulifys by my income and I dont have one she can get it.

lovetocook64
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Quoting 2and2onway:

Im not sure she is correct. I have 2 by another man and 2 by my DH. Before we were married his income did not count towards my case with my oldest 2 but did with the younger ones. Once we married, that changed and his income counted not only for welfare, but also for my oldest childs SSI.

perhaps it differs from state to state

one_on_the_way
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:42 AM

FYI - that was really hard to read/understand without proper punctuation. (example: "after giving up my youngest" wait, huh? oh - "after giving up, my youngest got sick..."  amazing what a comma can do.

That aside -

I'm surprised the caseworkers didn't tell you that you shouldn't count your dh income - it should be based on yours and the child's father.  Did they not know that your dh wasn't your oldest's father?

lovetocook64
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:46 AM

Quoting one_on_the_way:

FYI - that was really hard to read/understand without proper punctuation. (example: "after giving up my youngest" wait, huh? oh - "after giving up, my youngest got sick..."  amazing what a comma can do.

That aside -

I'm surprised the caseworkers didn't tell you that you shouldn't count your dh income - it should be based on yours and the child's father.  Did they not know that your dh wasn't your oldest's father?

yes they knew.I told them each time I tried to get my kids on insurance.it wasn't untill the advocate from childrens steped in that the caseworker finally agreed that dh income could not be counted for her

Mychele
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM
I knew this....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gorilla_Mama
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Hm, maybe it varies because I had DD on medicaid, she's not DH's but it was based on our household income and what my ex made had totally no bearing on our case.

lady_kira
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

That's not how it works in my state, they go by household income and that includes everybody in the home that works.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)