• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

please read if you homeschool

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM
  • 13 Replies

Me and my husband live in NC we are thinking about homeschooling.

We know nothing about it and are intrested in insight from people who are homeschooling now.

Sites where i could find about more about it and where to start. The school system here they are messing with and they are saying class sizes could be 30+ kids and one teacher and that they are also firing 250 teachers so who knows how many kids will really be in a class and im just not sure my child could learn in that mess.

Thank you

by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shaunalynn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Start with the Home School Legal Defense Association and figure out what the laws are for your state.

Then you need to decide on a method and/or a curriculum.

I recommend you visit the library and read anything and everything you can.

EdensJezebelle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Thank you for your reply.

what do you do about getting the kids together with other kids?

Quoting Shaunalynn:

Start with the Home School Legal Defense Association and figure out what the laws are for your state.

Then you need to decide on a method and/or a curriculum.

I recommend you visit the library and read anything and everything you can.

allycally
by Platinum Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Im in LA we followed the laws here...Im actually looking in to using k-12 online school for nextyear through a charter school...what grade is your child/ren in

jess227ny
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM
There is an amazing Homeschooling Group on here. I'm on mobile so I can't link it, sorry. They are super informative and helpful. Good Luck :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:57 AM

OP-this program I am linking is the program our youngest daughter has attended the past 2 years. We'll continue with it for next year and depending, possibly into high school. 

I live in Arizona and for us, this program is free. It is not free in your state, however, they DO have what is referred to as an "affordable private school online." Not sure of the pricing but possibly something to check into.

When you go to the page, click on your state on the map and they'll tell you more.

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/enroll/enroll.aspx

I would also contact your state's board of education and find out what the laws are on home-schooling in North Carolina. Each state has different laws on this and it's important to know them if you are considering home-schooling.

There are some great home-schooling groups here online, including a very informative one here on CM.

Best wishes!!! :)

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Crap, She's Up!"

Kenre
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM
Homeschool group on here and Google your laws. I am fighting my DH to homeschool my kids in Minnesota. Good luck. I hope the journey is wonderful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistyBlueMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Most of the info I found about homeschooling I found on the internet.First,it's very important to find out the homeschooling laws of your state.

About getting your child together with other children,how have you always done that? Are there other kids in your neighborhood? Does your community have programs and activities for kids? If yours have been in school,how did they socialize before they ever attended school,and how did they socialize during summer breaks when school was not in session? Homeschool is not the end of a child's social life.

timon95
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM
Go to hslda.org to find out about the homeschooling laws in your state. What i did was i went to our towns website for the school system and looked into what a 1st grader should be learning. I went along with that list plus added to it. You will need to wtite a letter or intent to the superintendent of schools to let them know you plan on homeschooling. There are a lot of options out there for curriculum. There are 2 groups that i know of so far on cm...they are happy homeschoolers and homeschool moms. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EdensJezebelle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:07 AM

he is 4 years old wont turn 5 till oct 31 but becuase of the school cut off he wont get in K till he is almost 6.

Quoting allycally:

Im in LA we followed the laws here...Im actually looking in to using k-12 online school for nextyear through a charter school...what grade is your child/ren in

EdensJezebelle
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

to be honest most of the mothers around me that have kids my age i cant get along with or stand how they behave with thier kids so letting my kids play with them is not something i do. I do have one that has a five year old that my son plays with from time to time shes pretty good. i meant more as in how do you go about finding out about like soccer or baseball type stuff for an activity to do after school.

Quoting MistyBlueMom:

Most of the info I found about homeschooling I found on the internet.First,it's very important to find out the homeschooling laws of your state.

About getting your child together with other children,how have you always done that? Are there other kids in your neighborhood? Does your community have programs and activities for kids? If yours have been in school,how did they socialize before they ever attended school,and how did they socialize during summer breaks when school was not in session? Homeschool is not the end of a child's social life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)