Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did your child....

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM
  • 11 Replies

Say his/her first word.... DS is 15 months and jabbers but has never said a word. By this age his sister said several words and I'm getting concerned.

He does not mimic sounds... Like ma da na.... at all..... his jabbering is like uhuuuuuhaaahhhhh

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM
My son was I think 11 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CplusG
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

19mo
can say these words:
mommy
daddy
go
juice
eat
uh oh
ewwww
ouch
"sleepy" when she refers to her favorite toy, her sleepybear

When she turned two, her vocabulary exploded! I haven't been able to keep her quiet since! lol.

have you had your ds's hearing checked? maybe he just needs a couple more months :)
keep talking to him mama.

Survivor6388
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I'm hoping he just needs a little more time. His hearing's fine....

Quoting CplusG:

19mo
can say these words:
mommy
daddy
go
juice
eat
uh oh
ewwww
ouch
"sleepy" when she refers to her favorite toy, her sleepybear

When she turned two, her vocabulary exploded! I haven't been able to keep her quiet since! lol.

have you had your ds's hearing checked? maybe he just needs a couple more months :)
keep talking to him mama.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

alotta_fagina
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:34 AM
Talk to the Dr. About it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM

9-10 months old.

-NatureChild-
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:46 AM

She was 3yrs old.

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

lady_kira
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:48 AM

My son wasn't talking at 15 months old, he just took a bit longer. My daughter started talking way before he did. I can't remember how old he was for sure but I'm fairly certain it was after he was two.

Survivor6388
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:58 AM

The dr said he is behind last Monday but did't seem  overly concerned,

MikeysMom51108
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I don't remember when my son said his first word. But, I know that by 18 months, he was only saying a handful of words, and we put him in speech therapy. That really helped him. He's 3 now, and he says a lot, but he's still not speaking as well as most other 3 year olds, so I'll be calling to see if we can have him evaluated for speech therapy again. Also, I may get bashed for this, but believe it or not, Nick Jr has REALLY helped him--he learns so many words from there, he learned to count to 12 from there, he knows a lot of shapes, colors, etc....I mean, we work with him too, but he picks up on a lot of stuff that I *know* he got from there.

My daughter is 11 months. She's been saying "mama" since about 9 months, and "dada" since about 10 months. But, she's not specific with who she says them too, so I'm not sure that counts.

Lois.
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Its is VERY common for boys to develope speech later.  My son is 2.5 and just now putting two word sentences.  had him evaluated at 18 months for not speaking just babbling, and the speech lady said he was just fine.  Girls focus on social development before physical development, and boys are the opposite.  

Quoting Survivor6388:

Say his/her first word.... DS is 15 months and jabbers but has never said a word. By this age his sister said several words and I'm getting concerned.

He does not mimic sounds... Like ma da na.... at all..... his jabbering is like uhuuuuuhaaahhhhh

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)