Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How religion is like an abusive relationship....

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM
  • 7 Replies
Some ladies in another post made a few very good points.

Let me just say...i am not for or against any religion. But when i see people making posts about going to heaven, they are making it sound like religion is an abusive relationship.

IF you do what He wants, you won'tbe damned to hell.

IF you make a "mistake" you better ask for forgiveness and really mean it!

To get into heaven, you must do X Y and Z or He will make you pay!

He died for your sins, the least you can do is everything he wants. No, it doesn't matter than you didn't ask Him for this, it just matters that He did it and you better be grateful!

Honestly, I truly believe that God's love and acceptance is not conditonal. No one is going to hell for not saying hail marys or confessing sins. If God is real, He or She loves everyone just as they are. Even the deviants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
lv.42.dy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

I agree...

Honestly, I truly believe that God's love and acceptance is not conditonal. No one is going to hell for not saying hail marys or confessing sins. If God is real, He or She loves everyone just as they are. Even the deviants.

4FAM67860509
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Very true.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im23vaughn
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Quoting lv.42.dy:

I agree...

If there is a god, I would agree with this view point.  It sounds the most reasonable of the theories I have heard.

MaggotMom
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM

This

abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FranksHoney
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM

BUMP!

mommaponch
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I am definitely what I would call a "cafeteria catholic"  I go through my faith buffet and say "I'll believe that and that and .... oh no thanks on that business."  And I think because of that I feel much differently about God than people who are fearful or afraid of him

I don't take God as an abusive relationship but as a parent child relationship.  Sometimes he does have to say "hey, YOU, you know that's not how we should act!  I taught you better than that"  But always after the statement, just like when I discipline my children, comes the "I am not happy you did that, but I LOVE you always."  I am in no way "afraid" that I won't get into heaven, I am in no way "afraid" that he will punish me, but I do sometimes worry that I am disappointing someone I love so much.

I have a personal relationship with God that has little to do with what the higher ups in my religion have to say.  As an example:  in the Catholic church we believe that you must be baptised, ok cool.  But, if a child dies before it is baptised the church's stand is that while baby won't go to hell, it can't be allowed into heaven without the baptism, so they go to a place that is neither that they call "Limbo."  And I KNOW in my heart that the Jesus Christ who loves me and held my hand while my mother died and said "Let ALL the little children come to me"  is not sitting in heaven telling the baby who died from SIDS before her parents could get her to church "sorry hunny, I know I made you perfect, I know you didn't choose to not believe, but we're not letting you in!" 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)