• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help.

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM
  • 13 Replies

Dd's hair is fierce.  She's 3, and it's never been cut.

Two reasons we haven't taken her for a cut:

1. It's beautiful the way it is and just keeps getting prettier as it grows.

2. I don't want somebody who *thinks* they know what to do with curly hair to f--- it up.

According to my fruitless Googling efforts, no salons-for-kids-with-curly-hair exist. 

All her little straight-haired friends have had their hair cut in little airplane and rocket-ship chairs.  The only places I can find that cater to curly hair charge $100+ for cuts and are adult-oriented.

So...do I take her to the kids' salon and hope for the best outcome?  Or do I take her to the adult curly-friendly salons and hope for better pricing considering her kid status?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM

DD has hair like that. I want it cut because its soo uneven. idk who is going to do it. I haven't start searching yet. 

3lilmonsters88
Id go to the kid salon and ask about it. A lot of the stylist deal with it in beauty school
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on May. 21, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Bump we have fine hair and no one can manage to get that right either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MultiPara

Shes so cute! Idk what to do but here is a bump for you. If that was my DD I would let it keep growing lol

pinkjimmies06
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Is her hair course or normal? 

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on May. 21, 2011 at 12:57 PM

Try Humectress by Nexxus - as a conditioner in the shower and as a leave in conditioner after you wash her hair.  Then, put her hair up in a pony or a bun while it's drying.

Sagely
by on May. 21, 2011 at 12:59 PM

It's a fine texture, medium volume.  The shape is definitely a spiral, I'd say about a 1/2 inch diameter.

Quoting pinkjimmies06:

Is her hair course or normal? 

lilyrose73
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:01 PM
I would go to an adult salon with an experienced stylist. I've tried those kids places with the airplane chairs, etc. and they never do a good job. JMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sagely
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. 

When I'm not overly lazy, we use the Just For Me curl smoother creme (awesome cause it's cheap AND it works!!) to tame her locks and kick the frizz.

Otherwise, we just pile it all up on top of her head for an 80's style pony tail.

Oh and we also use the sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner from Loreal.  I use the "reconstruct" on dd's hair since it's so fine and prone to breakage.

Quoting Cafe Robin:

Try Humectress by Nexxus - as a conditioner in the shower and as a leave in conditioner after you wash her hair.  Then, put her hair up in a pony or a bun while it's drying.

pinkjimmies06
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:07 PM

If it was course, I would have suggested going to a salon that caters to black/ethnic hair... but since its fine, I would try to work something out with the adult salon. Most kids salons are like chains - the basic skills are there but not the expertise. You get what you pay for. This way they can cut the hair so that it grows out better too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)