Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Disability??

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM
  • 34 Replies

So I have this friend who is my age and she recently applied for disability.  Now, I know she has a few medical issues.  She was what we called a 'test tube baby or water baby' back in school.  She had to get liquid drained from her head in like 2nd or 3rd grade.  It usually starts out with a headache when her issues flare up.  She's been out of work over a year now because she's trying to get disability.  We've been friends since kindergarten but kind of drifted after I had Naeem.   Not to mention she used me wayyy too many times.   I *get* she has medical problems occassionally.  But it's not an everyday thing.  She doesn't even take medicine unless it's a flare up (I guess that's what I can call it).  In the past she has quit her job more than I change underwear but this last time she's been out of work over a year.   A few months back she was discussing looking for a job and now she's saying she's waiting on disability.   She is 27 no kids living at home with her parents.   Can she really get disability??? 

by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Yeah... if she has doctors notes and all that jazz she can try. If she wanted to she can get a lawyer to fight it too. 

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Bump

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

Yeah... if she has doctors notes and all that jazz she can try. If she wanted to she can get a lawyer to fight it too. 

blessed107
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Only the doctors can determine whether she is eligible or not.

3lilmonsters88
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM
Yep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 21, 2011 at 1:25 PM

I heard it's harddddddd to get disability these days which is why i'm asking.   My aunt applied and they told her this along with be prepared to be denied the first time (as most people are).  Idk how it works which is why I was asking.  My aunt has a bunch of health issues soo I doubt she'll have any trouble getting it even if she has to apply twice.

Grumpylilpixy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Yeah she can and tons of other people who can work who are just lazy get it to.

How a person can decide to live off 6-7-800  dollars a month is beyond me. 

I couldn't survive off disability although the medical coverage and dental coverage I could use that would be nice.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 21, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Well she has no children and lives at home.  So it would be feasible for her.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Yeah she can and tons of other people who can work who are just lazy get it to.

How a person can decide to live off 6-7-800  dollars a month is beyond me. 

I couldn't survive off disability although the medical coverage and dental coverage I could use that would be nice.

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Unless a doctor says she can't work, then no. It sounds like she is able bodied, just has a few problems that are easily managed.

My friend has tumors on her brain and has blackouts, she fought for 3 years to get disability. My dad has hydrocephalus, kidney disease, hepatitis, and arthritis, he worked for 45 plus years and fought for 5 years to get his. It's hard to prove u are disabled.

P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 21, 2011 at 1:31 PM

idk either... my mom works at our disability clinic and has heard lots of stories. My cousins all get it because of depression and always have even when they were younger. But, my other cousin had a stroke and can't get it she can't even remember stuff or fold a towel some days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)