Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby breastfed by vegan mother dies, parents jailed for neglect

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM
  • 156 Replies

Two vegans who fed their 11-month-old daughter only mother's milk went on trial in northern France on Tuesday charged with neglect after their baby died suffering from vitamin deficiency.

Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou whose vegan diet forbids consuming any animal product including eggs and cow's milk, called the emergency services in March 2008 after becoming worried about their baby Louise's listlessness.

When the ambulance arrived at their home in Saint Maulvis a small village 150 kilometres (90 miles) north of Paris, the baby was already dead.

The ambulance workers called the police because the child was pale and thin, weighing 5.7 kilos (12.5 pounds) compared to an average eight kilos for her age.

The baby had only been fed on the milk of her mother, who was aged 37 at the time.

An autopsy showed that Louise was suffering from a vitamin A and B12 deficiency which experts say increases a child's sensitivity to infection and can be due to an unbalanced diet.

"The problem of vitamin B12 deficiency could be linked to the mother's diet," said Anne Laurie Sandretto, deputy prosecutor in the city of  Amiens where the trial is taking place.

The couple has been charged with "neglect or food deprivation followed by death" and face up to 30 years in prison if convicted.

What do you think of this?

Here is a link to another article with more information about what happened prior to the baby's death. It says:

‘The couple did not follow doctor’s advice to take their baby to hospital when she was suffering from bronchitis and was losing weight when they went for the nine-month check-up.

‘They preferred applying clay or cabbage poultices whose recipes they found in their books. These are people who read the wrong thing at the wrong time’

- Defence lawyer Stephane Daquo

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371172/French-vegan-couple-face-jail-child-neglect-baby-died-vitamin-deficiency.html#ixzz1N16g7Zb4

by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oceanus407
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:15 PM
That's horrible. I wonder what the pediatrition said to the parents about the baby being only 12 lbs at 11 mo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilyrose73
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:16 PM
They probably never went to one.

Quoting oceanus407:

That's horrible. I wonder what the pediatrition said to the parents about the baby being only 12 lbs at 11 mo.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sophistcatdfury
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

good. you can be vegan and still meet your nutritional requirements. breastfeeding while not doing so is negligent.

ars2art

poor baby

marriedmomma3
Irresponsible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tickled_pink09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

BUMP!

kristy0833
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM

so sad

LilyTmomof1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I'm sure the parents were not aware that her diet was the cause of their baby being ill. I don't think they should get charged with neglect. 

I guess breastfeeding isn't always the best option like some say. 

SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM

I think the fact that they are vegan has nothing to do with it. You can be healthy and vegan. My middle son was less than 13 lbs when he was 1 also, I am not vegan though.

I DO think they neglected her. I think they are making this too much about the mother's diet though.

southern_momof2
by on May. 21, 2011 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I am happy she is being charged. If your going to take on a lifestyle like that then at least be educated about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)