Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Roomie situation could turn sour - I WANT HER OUT!

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM
  • 21 Replies

Sticky situation here. I have told people countless times to never have a roommate and yet, I have one. Kinda have one I should say. She moved in here a couple months ago, shes on our lease and everything. We have no written contract between us stating how much she is to pay us but she also works at burger king so she doesn't make much money. She generally pays between 200-300 a month.

Some other info on her.. She got caught awhile back with a DUR (Driving Under Restraint) which is a 500 dollar fine. Before that, she got caught driving without insurance and was suppose to carry an SR22. She failed to do so which caused her to lose her license and therefor got the DUR some time later. She has paid off her fines for driving without insurance but she still has a warrant for the DUR. So she needs to go post bail, than get insurance again with an SR22 (just shows proof of insurance to dmv), than get her license reinstated (95 dollars), and than she can get her license back. All totaling 700-800 dollars. Afterwards, she will be able to take a better job thats NOT located near the house, make more money, and MOVE OUT.

Alright so I told you all this for a reason. I want her gone asap. Not that I hate her or dislike her but I don't want her here when the baby comes. However, having that extra 200-300 dollars a month has been helpful. She seems to think we can't pay our bills without it but whatever, thats not the case.

She wants to skip paying us rent so she can handle all of her legal debt and move out sooner, my boyfriend says he is not going to support her and she needs to pay her share. Either way, shes still on the lease so we can't kick her out, we all have to sighn to have her removed from the lease - including her signature.

What is the best possible choice? Should we continue to make her pay rent or should we back off and let her handle her legal debt so she can move out quicker? Don't worry, I am not going to get defensive over the answers. I just need people from the outside to give their BEST advice!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyClairissa
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM

BUMP!

steph2884
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:05 PM

There's two ways you can handle it... you can tell her life happens and she needs to be responsible with her screw ups and keep paying rent as well... or you could back off for a while. I can't tell you what I would do, because I've never personally been in that situation. If you aren't comfortable letting her free load because she screwed up, tell her to either pay up or get out. Don't tip toe around it. I tip toed around too many roommate situations from my late teens/early twenties and it doesn't help at all. Just come out and say it.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
MommyClairissa
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:16 PM

well we cant kick her out, she's on the lease with the landlord.. we have no written agreement between us. If that wasn't the case, I'd probably let my boyfriend boot her to the curb

ars2art
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:19 PM

keep having her pay if you cant boot her. not your fault she messed up

MommyClairissa
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I think the whole message didn't get across...

She is REFUSING to pay rent so she can get her life back on track. I CANT kick her out because the lease specifically states that it requires the signature of all roomies for one to be removed off the lease

angie729
by Ruby Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

She should continue to pay her part of the rent.

GigantaursMommy
by Mrs.Awesome Face on May. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Just have her pay you back later. Give her a month or two to pay off her legal debts and get back on her feet and then once she has the better job and her own place have her pay you back. Make sure to get it in writing though.

GigantaursMommy
by Mrs.Awesome Face on May. 21, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Tell her she's a bitch and it's effed up fer her to take advantage of you and your SO that way, than once you get her out cut all ties.

Quoting MommyClairissa:

I think the whole message didn't get across...

She is REFUSING to pay rent so she can get her life back on track. I CANT kick her out because the lease specifically states that it requires the signature of all roomies for one to be removed off the lease

mrsnoble2004
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:30 PM

You might mention to her if it was her OWN apartment the landlord wouldn't let her not pay the rent to "get her life on track". Maybe she could pay you less and do more around the house.

P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM
Idk but that sucks
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)