Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O A breastfed baby is only as healthy as its mother?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM
  • 23 Replies

Do you agree with this statement?

Now, what if a woman ate nothing but junk food (like fast food,sweets,soda) and exclusively breastfed?

Would that also cause her child to be malnourished and cause for neglect?

by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
afwifeandmommy3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tickled_pink09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:12 PM

I really don't know but very interested on where this post will go.

:)

4FAM67860509
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM
From what I know and I may be wrong, a mother herself will be malnourished before the baby bc the baby takes everything it needs whether the mother has enough to support herself or not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

A mother's diet does not affect the quality of her breastmilk. If it did, humans would have died out a long time ago.

Mommy2ZOEBETH
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Both very interesting answers 4FAM and ashley. If this is true,I am wondering why a b12 deficiency in the mother would have affected that baby so adversely?

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

Both very interesting answers 4FAM and ashley. If this is true,I am wondering why a b12 deficiency in the mother would have affected that baby so adversely?

If you are talking about the story where the vegan baby died, I think there was more to the story. I remember reading a discussion about it awhile back.

ashmac03
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM

I agree with that statement 100%.  An old friend of mine believed in breastfeeding exclusively until her son was 9 months and continued to breastfeed until he was 2.  The entire time she drank, smoked, and had terrible eating habits.  He wasn't born with any medical issues but as he got older he became more and more sickly.  I tried to talk to her several times about this and told her that she wasn't doing him any good by breastfeeding if she was going to pollute her body while doing it.  She ignored everyone and insisted that breastfeeding while drinking, smoking, and eating crap was still better than formula. 

elle7777
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 5:55 PM

No. Usually a bf mother's diet has little effect on the quality of her breast milk (except in extreme cases).

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Here's more info on the vegal baby story. The baby was sick and they didn't take him/her to the hospital.

In January 2008, Sergine and Joel Le Moaligou ignored their doctor’s advice to take their infant daughter, Louis, to the hospital, according to news reports. The 11 month old was underweight and seemed to be suffering from pneumonia-related illnesses."

PEACHES1721
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)