Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids hiding cigarettes? Would this make you mad?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

My SIL is a smoker. She used to smoke inside her house but since her grandson came to live with her she stopped. He is 9 and his best friend/ cousin is also 9. They HATE that she smokes. They think it's gross and want her to stop all the time. They actually take her cigarettes and hide them. It's gotten to the point where she has had to hide them and they have gotten in trouble because they won't listen to her when she tells them to give them back. She said she once found a pile of broken cigarettes behind the grandson's dresser and he hid a pack behind her car tire so she would run over them ( I have to admit, that was a clever idea lol) 

I think she should stop smoking of course. I think it's wrong that these kids want her to stop so bad and she won't. However she is an adult and she can do what she wants. She spends money on cigarettes and them stealing them is a waste of money. 

What do you think about this? 

by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
winkles115
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM
Lol idk, my brother and I used to do that to my parents!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
adevilsadvocate
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I think that while their antics are funny that she is the ADULT and they are KIDS. And that they should pay her back for the wasted money.

LilyTmomof1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Quoting adevilsadvocate:

I think that while their antics are funny that she is the ADULT and they are KIDS. And that they should pay her back for the wasted money.

Yeah she said it used to be cute(they've been doing this for years) but now it's just annoying. They usually end up giving her back the cigarettes (to avoid getting in trouble) but sometimes they are so sneaky about taking them, she doesn't realize for a while and by that time they have forgotten them too! 

.kk.

My mom smoked and she smoked inside the house when we were kids. I used to do the same thing.

My brother even started smoking and told my mom that he would stop if she would. She didn't. I started smoking, she still didn't stop. She started smoking outside when she had to sell her house.

I don't think that her children need to worry about her wasting money when she's obviously wasting money by damaging her home, her health and her children's health.

But, stealing is still wrong.

She's also an adult and can make her own decisions.

It's a no-win situation.

BlessedToBMommy

I think the kids are right and shes a moron for continuing to smoke knowing it worries them so much, and i say this as a wife of a smoker and I've told him the same thing :)

ars2art
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

I would say that since they dont like that she smokes maybe she can get a safe and put her cigs in there while they are at her house and not smoke while they are at her house.

tiger_tatted1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Quoting winkles115:

Lol idk, my brother and I used to do that to my parents!

ThePerfectMommy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I dont really know

they should listen to their parents but at the same time they are doing it for a good cause.

tiger_tatted1
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:42 PM

My computer wouldnt let me type when I quoted the PP above. My brother and  I used to do the same things too! Hell, I do it to my husband now, LOL.

I think she should quit smoking. BUT she is an adult and can do as she pleases like the OP said. They will never quit. She needs to get used to it, quit smoking or hide her cigs from them!

LilGina
by on May. 21, 2011 at 5:43 PM

I Did that all the time when I was little my mom never quit and now she's gone. Smoking took her life is it worth that????

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)