Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please tell me this is just a f***ng joke...**UPDATED** **HUGE UPDATE!**

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM
  • 103 Replies

I just got off the phone with my mother. In March, she was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. Apparently, on Wednesday(her last day of chemo in the cycle...she does mon-wed every 3 weeks) her oncologist took a listen to her lungs. She said they sounded awful, and had her go downstairs for a chest x-ray. According to the results, the doctor isn't sure she even HAS cancer. Says it looks more like an infection. My mother is not herself lately, so rest assured I will be on the phone first thing Monday morning(I have the oncologist's #)...but I'm so upset right now I'm shaking. Has anyone ever heard of a cancer misdiagnosis? Does it happen often? How the fuck can they pull the rug out from under peoples' lives like that??

I updated in a reply because I was mobile, but now I'm at my mother's and can use the internet. Here is the update:

Update: I spoke to my mother's doctor on Tuesday. I spent about a half hour on the phone with her making sure I knew every little detail of the treatment plans and such. The doctor informed me that, unfortunately, my mother was just confused. She was told she had an infection, but that's along with the cancer not instead. I was also quoted "9 months at the most" when I asked how long she had. My mother may not live to celebrate her 60th birthday. Thanks again for all of your support over the past few months, you've made my life a little bit easier with your kind words.

6/6  So, my mother had a PET scan on Friday, and we got the results today...THE CANCER SHRANK!!!!

IT SHRANK!!!!!!

I'm so happy I could dance on the roof right now! It's about time we got some good news around here! She was just telling me last night while I was doing her nails how sorry she was that she can't afford a birthday present for me this year...WELL I ALREADY GOT IT, MA! And 3 days early, too!! HOORAAAAAAAAAY!

by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smarshy
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM

They told my mom she had lupus and she didn't. And my dad that he had Rheumatoid arthritis, but he doesn't. I don't know anyone with a cancer misdiagnosis though.:( I hope they were mistaken, for her sake!

epoh
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM
WTF. I hope you find answers soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookie.Kisses09
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:54 PM

sorry i have no advice for you, but that sounds awful! unfortunitly, misdiagnoses happen a lot more than people like to admit. it's just a shame it had to be as something serious as cancer! and the fact that shes been through so much with it. just be there for her and find out everything you can to help your situation.. even if it means a lawsuit. good luck!

jnttd
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Quoting epoh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mallowcup17
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Quoting epoh:

emilysmom8
by Dawn on May. 21, 2011 at 7:56 PM

I would have your mom get all her medical records and go see another specialst ASAP!

yezay
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM
Agree I can't believe she went through treatment and they were wrong.

Quoting Cookie.Kisses09:

sorry i have no advice for you, but that sounds awful! unfortunitly, misdiagnoses happen a lot more than people like to admit. it's just a shame it had to be as something serious as cancer! and the fact that shes been through so much with it. just be there for her and find out everything you can to help your situation.. even if it means a lawsuit. good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KME3
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:58 PM
BUMP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PollyMarie
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM

That's crazy! I hope you get straight answers soon.

jess80
by on May. 21, 2011 at 7:59 PM
I saw on myst.diagnosis where they told a lady she had leukemia and hospitalized her and started treatments just ti find out later it was something else.....good luck with ur mom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)