Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wasted trip to the ER...what would YOU have done?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:32 PM
  • 12 Replies

I got home from the ER a few hours ago. What a freaking JOKE!

I posted on here within the last week about cramping during pregnancy. I am almost 13 weeks along. I called the DR the following day, and they basically told me what you all did. Go to the ER if the pain gets unbearable, and if there is bleeding.

Well, last night was horrific. The pain was ALMOST unbearable.....but DH works third shift and I didn't want to call him home to watch DD, so I stuck it out. This morning in the shower I started bleeding, so I told DH I was heading in.

They got me back fairly quickly, and did a pelvic exam, urine and blood tests. Then I waited. And waited. And waited some more. I was waiting in my room, ALONE for 3.5 hours. No one came in to give me any updates. So I poked my head out and asked a passing nurse to get MY nurse for me. 45 minutes later my nurse comes strolling into my room. She has my discharge papers.

She told me the tests all came back normal, and to go home and rest. Ummmm.....really? They didn't do an ultrasound, didn't try to find a heartbeat. I'm cramping and bleeding, and they don't take the time to see if the pregnancy is viable? Seriously?

When I asked her about it, she said the DR didn't order any further tests, and I was officially discharged, so they needed to clean the room for the next patient. WHAT? The DR couldn't even come back to talk to me? What about MY concerns?

I should have spoke up. But I didn't. I burst into tears (damn pregnancy hormones) grabbed my paperwork and left.

The good news? The bleeding has stopped. I think I feel the little booger in there (if that's what I've been feeling the past few days.....pretty sure it is) and the cramping is no where near as bad as it was. I have my first OB appointment in 10 days, so hopefully I'll get a piece of mind when I see/hear the baby then.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ars2art
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM

did you get a hold of your ob? They might do an ultrasound. I am shocked they didnt do one at the er.

lilyrose73
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:37 PM
Call your OB on Monday, and try to get in sooner. I had a similar situation and my OB got me in the same day for an ultrasound. You shouldn't have to wait 10 days. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristy0833
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:38 PM
id be fucking livid!

southern_momof2
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM
I agree with the above. I suggest calling your OB and trying to get in sooner. Good luck and I hope everything is ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
winkles115
by on May. 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM
Wtf? Oh and ps, I was told you aren't officially discharged until you sign that paper. If you go back in you DEMAND to see a dr and an u/s! *hugs*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sam12796
by Sandy on May. 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM
Maybe they didn't do any ultrasound because at the weeks of pregnancy you are there is nothing they can give you to stop it? Follow up with your OB as soon as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ForeverMeme
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:08 PM

Still sending you and the Little Bean positive energy and gentle hugs.  

Angelicembrace
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 10:11 PM
wow, i would have been livid. I hope all is okay!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blakesmommy531
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM
I would've been very upset! I would try to call & get in sooner. I was spotting at almost 12 weeks & got in that day. I didn't get good news. :/
I really, really hope everything is ok. Prayers for you momma.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JBDslittlemam08
by on May. 21, 2011 at 10:13 PM
As long as your HCG levels came back normal for your gestation, the pelvic exam didn't present with an open cervic and your urine came back negative; they ruled out a mc.

Not being rude or snarky, just letting you know exactly their plan of care.

You may have been having rounding ligament pains and discharging old blood :)

I hope you can get the dr monday and get the peace of mind you need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)