Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Diabetes in YOUNG children?

Posted by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:04 PM
  • 21 Replies

Do any of you have children with diabetes? Do any of you know anyone who has it or did you??? If so, PLEASE give me symptoms or signs of it please. Kaile has problems with her drinking and peeing and its really bothering me and her doc wont do a damn thing. So I'm not sure what to do right now. Do you have any ideas? 

What I mean by her peeing and drinking, is she can drink water like no other and pee like crazy. Yes water will make you pee badly, but I cut her off from drinking anything at 4:30pm because she wets the bed and I'm trying to work with her on that, and she should have a lot of the water out of her body in about an hour to 2 hours after 4:30, for example and yes I have counted it, she can go pee at 10pm at least 12 times in that HOUR only. And no she doesn't sneak a drink. So idk what to do. And drinking water, tea, kool aid, ANYTHING she is still thirsty right after that after drinking a full 32oz even. So idk what to do. Yes diabetes does run in the family. She is 3. So please any ideas or info would be great. Thank you.

I love being a single mom to my wonderful baby girl!!!!! And My sister is one of the best in the world. Even though raising her is one of the hardest things I have ever went though, it is the MOST rewarding....My princess Kaile Elizabeth....3 years old.

by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Zippity19
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:07 PM

If she is eating but losing weight, that is a symptom of diabetes.

If she suddenly starts to smell like nail polish remove, that is also a symptom.

If she is tired, cranky or irritable a lot, or before eating, also a symptom.

If your doctor isn't doing anything, go back and DEMAND that he/she do a test for diabetes.  It can be as simple as a urine test they might draw blood as well.

Bits08
by on May. 21, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Bump!

SusanD
by Gold Member on May. 21, 2011 at 11:09 PM

Drinking a lot, peeing a lot, hunger, headaches, unexplained weight loss, irritability....to name a few (these are what my sone experienced). My advice would be to specifically request that they check her glucose, test for glucose and ketones in the urine. If her dr doesn't want to do this, go to a different doctor or take her in to urgent care.

KailesMommy
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:09 AM

She has all BUT the weight loss. She is chubby for her age but not for her height. I have told them I want her tested and demanded that she be tested at her 3 year check up and he REFUSED to test her telling me, quote "I will not do an unreasonable test on a young child, when diabetes does not run this young in the family and you do not know anything about the fathers side when it comes to it." SO I went off on him and he still wouldn't do it. So IDK what to do. Urgent care wont see her because she has insurence. 

Quoting SusanD:

Drinking a lot, peeing a lot, hunger, headaches, unexplained weight loss, irritability....to name a few (these are what my sone experienced). My advice would be to specifically request that they check her glucose, test for glucose and ketones in the urine. If her dr doesn't want to do this, go to a different doctor or take her in to urgent care.

KailesMommy
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:13 AM

She isn't losing weight, but she is always hungery. If we go out to eat and go to an all you can eat place, and she will eat the life out of that place, she will say she is not hungry anymore and we leave, she is hungry as soon as she walks the the door she is hungry and can eat a full adult plate of food again. 

She isn't or hasn't started to smell like nail polish remover....never heard of that one though.

she is always tired, cranky, and irritable. before and after eating.

I have demanded that she gets tested but the doc wont because he says she is too young.... 

Quoting Zippity19:

If she is eating but losing weight, that is a symptom of diabetes.

If she suddenly starts to smell like nail polish remove, that is also a symptom.

If she is tired, cranky or irritable a lot, or before eating, also a symptom.

If your doctor isn't doing anything, go back and DEMAND that he/she do a test for diabetes.  It can be as simple as a urine test they might draw blood as well.

SusanD
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 1:15 AM

There is no reason for her to be "too young". Another option that you might look into is to call your public health office. Explain to them that you are concerned and have asked for a test from your health care provider but they are refusing. See if they can have you come in and test her through them.

If not, try getting her in to another doctor OR take her to the ER. Diabetes isn't a joke...and IF she is diabetic, then you need to get her on a treatment regimen. If it isn't diabetes, then you might want to look into her eating habits and weight. If she is chubby already and eats adult size meals then she may be getting set up for a life of being overweight and possibly type 2 diabetes.

Damali0812
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2011 at 1:46 AM

my oldest DD (now 9 y/o) was diagnosed when she was 4 y/o with type 1 diabetes. she is the only one in our family with it even though the dr tried to say its genetic. The week b4 she was diagnosed, she hardly ate a thing or drank anything. after 6 days she was skin and bones and then began puking everything up including water! 

If you child is eating and drinking everything ok then i wouldnt worry but if you think ur dr is ignoring you then go to another one and tell them to test ur childs blood sugar to be sure. or u could buy an over the counter monitor at walmart for $15 and test ur kid urself. If its over 100 when ur kid first gets up in the morning before eating or drinking anything then see a dr cause morning blood sugars in kids should be between 70 and 100

MsDean
by on May. 22, 2011 at 1:51 AM

I would find a new pediatrician.

Good luck =)

Zippity19
by on May. 22, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Type 1 (or Juvenille Diabetes) IS NOT a heriditary disease.  It does not have to run in families to appear.  My friend's daughter is diabetic and NO ONE in her family, or extended family is diabetic.

If he won't do it, then ask for a referall to a different doctor.  Or, simply say, if I have her tested at another clinic and they find her to be diabetic, I assure you you will need a hell of a lawyer.  That should light a fire under his ass.

Quoting KailesMommy:

She has all BUT the weight loss. She is chubby for her age but not for her height. I have told them I want her tested and demanded that she be tested at her 3 year check up and he REFUSED to test her telling me, quote "I will not do an unreasonable test on a young child, when diabetes does not run this young in the family and you do not know anything about the fathers side when it comes to it." SO I went off on him and he still wouldn't do it. So IDK what to do. Urgent care wont see her because she has insurence. 

Quoting SusanD:

Jadegirl1819
by on May. 23, 2011 at 8:29 AM

You can look up symptoms on webmd.  Frequent urination, thirst, hunger, weight loss, headache and blurry vision (those are kina hard to tell on little ones)  "fruity" breath (to me it smells like sewer, it's awful), lethargy.  If she gets lethargic, vomits, has "fruity" breath, then take her to the ER.

If the doctor wont test then that is a pretty good sign that you need a new doc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)