• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be offended if someone complimented your baby with "she's so white!"?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM
  • 63 Replies

My friend just left my house, she's Hispanic and her hubby is white. Their baby is about two months old and cute as a button. She says she's amazed at how many strangers stop to compliment her baby "OMG! She's so cute! She's so white" "How beautiful, she's so white!"  She feels that is an inappropriate compliment. Her reasoning is, you wouldn't say about a black baby "oh, she's so black!"

Would you feel offended? Would you say something? (and no, she just smiles and thank the person, as she thinks the person is just being ignorant) thoughts?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiveLifeLoving
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:10 AM
I wouldn't be offended..but that's not something i'd ever think to say to someone, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ToraMay
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:11 AM
thats a bit offensive, yes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseWall
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:12 AM

probably more annoyed than anything. i had that problem only in reverse. my dd was dark.  people. sometimes i just wonder about people.

DakotaRose
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Maybe they are making a comment about the difference in skin tone between mama and baby? Is there a huge difference between the two?

1daughter6dogs
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Um...I guess I wouldn't be offended, because I don't think they would mean it to be offensive, but I do think it's an odd thing to say.

Mommavieve
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM
IDK if I'd be offended, but DH and I are both white and DS is so pale, people ask if he's albino.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-NatureChild-
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Quoting LiveLifeLoving:

I wouldn't be offended..but that's not something i'd ever think to say to someone, lol.

IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

iloveoj
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:13 AM

Well, honestly yes, maybe that's the case.

Quoting DakotaRose:

Maybe they are making a comment about the difference in skin tone between mama and baby? Is there a huge difference between the two?

Chatema
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:14 AM
Ok, that's a weird thing to say to about someone elses child. Someone told me that my baby was so red. Meaning that she is very light skinned. I didn't get offended but they could come across a little better.
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:14 AM
I say it all the time to any friend or family member that has a lighter baby then them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)