Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School week going to be 4 days a week!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:35 AM
  • 25 Replies

Several districts in the state I live in have gone to 4 days a week for public schools instead of 5 days a week... due to budget. The School District right next to ours (15 minutes away) is going to 4 days a week next fall... probably cutting Fridays. I guess the school day will be 1.5 longer... but only 4 days a week. A district about an hour away did this a few years ago and their test scores have not suffered... so more districts are doing it now to save money. 

What are you opinions on this?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bayliesmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM
Hmmmm. I don't see a problem. But that may be a long day for the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jollymommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:37 AM

wow. no. I'm happy with five days a week. I wish we had year round school actually.

crazymom21
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:44 AM
Instead of Friday I'd rather give up Monday lol I don't see the school my kids go to ever doing this. If they did I'd lobby for cutting Mondays :D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bree88
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:44 AM

The kids love it... & I guess studies show that the longer days actually HELP academically even if it's only an hour longer  and 4 days a week. http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20110331/NEWS/110339975

Oh, it has been decided already... not just in discussion like the article says. The article is from the end of March. Anyhow, more districs in Nevada are considering switching to this. 

Quoting bayliesmommy:

Bree88
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:46 AM

They are cutting Friday because most of the sporting events for Jr. High & High school are on Fridays and a lot of kids end up missing part of the day anyway. 

Quoting crazymom21:

Instead of Friday I'd rather give up Monday lol I don't see the school my kids go to ever doing this. If they did I'd lobby for cutting Mondays :D

mommy6xs
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:47 AM
I just see it being harder on the younger group, we do all day kindergarten and my DD was wore out completely when she got home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SouthernMomma09
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:49 AM

we did it in HS.... didn't really cause any issues

crazymom21
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:51 AM
Makes sense but I'd still lobby for Mondays if they discussed doing that here lol

Quoting Bree88:

They are cutting Friday because most of the sporting events for Jr. High & High school are on Fridays and a lot of kids end up missing part of the day anyway. 

Quoting crazymom21:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amyme63
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:58 AM
Funny... I was just browsing this post thinking how nice it would be to have the kids home on fridays when I realized its NV! Interesting. We are in Douglas. I would be fine with whatever but this district can't seem to make a decision to save their lives. They were year round, then "modified" year round, now regular. And the HS is only 10th through 12th. They just don't seem to be able to figure anything out properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina18
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:58 AM

From the research that I have done on this, studies have not exactly shown that longer days help academic performance. Studies HAVE found that for most students there is no correlation between the length of the school day or year and academic achievement. What they did find was that how the time in the classroom was spent was incredibly important.

It's not how long kids are in the classroom, it's how engaged in learning they are while in the classroom.

Check out this: http://www.educationsector.org/publications/clock-rethinking-way-schools-use-time

"Research reveals a complicated relationship between time and learning and suggests that improving the quality of instructional time is at least as important as increasing the quantity of time in school."

and check out this:   http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2009/04/27/to-fix-education-school-hours-and-money-need-to-be-better-spent

"A 2003 Review of Educational Research analysis tallied dozens of studies and found no systematic evidence that additional time raised student achievement. Some studies, including the 1994 National Education Commission on Time and Learning report, have found increased instructional time modestly linked with higher achievement—but that argues for making good use of time before seeking more"

Quoting Bree88:

The kids love it... & I guess studies show that the longer days actually HELP academically even if it's only an hour longer  and 4 days a week. http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/20110331/NEWS/110339975

Oh, it has been decided already... not just in discussion like the article says. The article is from the end of March. Anyhow, more districs in Nevada are considering switching to this. 

Quoting bayliesmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)