Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Autism??

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:07 AM
  • 13 Replies
My 2 year old has developmental delays as well as hearing problems. I have 2 doctors saying SHE IS ON THE SPECTRUM. I then have 2 different ones saying NO ITS JUST WHO SHE IS AND SHE WILL OUTGROW IT. She is going through Early Intervention. She is not very social unless its family(but she has to be familiar with them) and her siblings. She is about 4 months behind on her speech. She started walking fully at 20 months. She is overly emotional over the littlest things. I don't think she is autistic. But I don't know much about it. And the doctors are no help at all. None. Any advice on who else would be able to tell us? She is also seeing a child psychologist
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
troll.mom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:26 AM

have any of the doctors evaluated her for autism or are they just going by what they see?  my DS had a psychological evaluation done the ADOS was performed.  he was 15 months old when this was done

mommywife06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:28 AM
She was tested through early steps and tested on the spectrum but they said it wqs because it had to do with speech. Her doctors are going based off what we tell them/they see
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EllenMeister
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:33 AM

I agree with troll.mom that she needs a formal evaluation by a psychologist. Meanwhile, how is her eye contact? Does she point? Is she sensitive about being touched? 

FYI, I don't think the late walking is a symptom of autism, and of course the speech delay could be entirely due to the hearing problems.

Sending good thoughts!!

Find me at: ellenmeister.com  *  my blog  *  facebook * twitter                       

JvilleMom125
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:33 AM
I work with autistic children and have a hearing impaired sister.

Does it make sence in your case that the hearing probs could be cause for your child being just a tad bit behind? To me 4 months reAlly isn't that bad. And u say she's emotional? I will need a lil more background on that. My son was a late walker and talker. He's extremely emotional also. I thought autisum but he had behavioral therapy and did wonderfully. I wish I was on my computer cause I could list a ton of things he would flip about.

I'm no doc but I'll help u anyway I can!

Keep your head up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marriedmomma3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:36 AM
I don't believe a two year old can be diagnosed autistic, learning delayed -yes. She is still on the late side of normal and some kids are just shy. I agree with her having early intervention and some speech therapy though.

Goodluck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommywife06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:37 AM
I know but just incase anyone asked I thought I would just put it. She points when she wants something if something is in her way. But if something is in her way she points and has a meltdown. Her being touched I can touch her and her sister can. Anyone else she kind of just pushes away

Quoting EllenMeister:

I agree with troll.mom that she needs a formal evaluation by a psychologist. Meanwhile, how is her eye contact? Does she point? Is she sensitive about being touched? 

FYI, I don't think the late walking is a symptom of autism, and of course the speech delay could be entirely due to the hearing problems.

Sending good thoughts!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommasbabies77
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:38 AM
Actually 2 is about right for the dx. I'm really tired, op, ill respond later. My son is low functioning.

Quoting marriedmomma3:

I don't believe a two year old can be diagnosed autistic, learning delayed -yes. She is still on the late side of normal and some kids are just shy. I agree with her having early intervention and some speech therapy though.

Goodluck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommywife06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:40 AM
She will walk upstairs and if our cat is in her way she will cry like she was hit and yell MOM(only word I can understand at the meltdown) and point at Rusty. But if you walk close to him he will move. If the door isn't shut but I don't let her shut it same reaction. Her shoe falls off same reaction. My son walks near her all those was just today. I don't think austim but I don't want this confusion to continue incase she needs to be seen for it

Quoting JvilleMom125:

I work with autistic children and have a hearing impaired sister.

Does it make sence in your case that the hearing probs could be cause for your child being just a tad bit behind? To me 4 months reAlly isn't that bad. And u say she's emotional? I will need a lil more background on that. My son was a late walker and talker. He's extremely emotional also. I thought autisum but he had behavioral therapy and did wonderfully. I wish I was on my computer cause I could list a ton of things he would flip about.

I'm no doc but I'll help u anyway I can!

Keep your head up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
troll.mom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:49 AM

you CAN diagnose a child as YOUNG as 6 months old with Autism.  my DS and plenty of others i know i were all DIAGNOSED before 2.  i knew at 6 months old he was autistic and i have NO family history of it either.  so IT IS POSSIBLE

Quoting marriedmomma3:

Goodluck

troll.mom
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:52 AM

ever child is different.. a 4 month speech delay is NOTHING... only a proper psychological evaluation can determine if she falls on the spectrum or not.  a speech evaluation cannot determine that.  

my DS is low functioning, but loves kisses, hugs, points, has great eye contact, is verbal, potty trained.  but he is still considered low functioning.

Quoting mommywife06:

I know but just incase anyone asked I thought I would just put it. She points when she wants something if something is in her way. But if something is in her way she points and has a meltdown. Her being touched I can touch her and her sister can. Anyone else she kind of just pushes away

Quoting EllenMeister:

Sending good thoughts!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)