Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Malware Protection virus.....help!!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:21 AM
  • 24 Replies
my laptop got infected this morning....i cant even get on the net to download the program i need to get the virus off my laptop.....help!!
edit: can you ladies tell me this stuff in lamens terms please lol....im so confused! lol thank you for all the help so far :)

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
my4littlegirls
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM
Go to safe mode and try downloading it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:33 AM

We dealt with a very nasty virus last weekend on this desktop and had to end up deleting the primary user name after creating a new one.

The name of our virus was XP Antivirus 2011, which attached itself to our Windows Security Center. It asked us to register to be able to us any aspect of our computer..Internet, Windows programs and programs we had downloaded onto Windows and we would get pop-ups every 2 minutes or less. It's called a "rogue" or "drive-by" virus because it can be picked up basically anywhere by attaching itself to something you might download, etc.

Anyway, we did isolate it and got rid of it using AVG. There's also a malware program called Malwarebytes that you can download through Cnet.com for free.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says~~ "Oh Crap, She's Up!"

KandiceN
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I just dealt with this on my desktop.  There was no saving it, it infected my main windows files.

Is it redirecting your websites so you can't go to anti-virus places to dl stuff?  That's what mine did to me.  I had to wipe and reload windows.  Lost everything but I don't keep anything on the computer, it's all on an external HD.

stacey7710
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Ours did the same thing last week. We did a system restore and took it back like 5 days, and then we were able to get back online and download the program we needed to fix the issue. I thought I was protected but apparently not. By the time my DH got done with it it's like Fort Knox on here!! Good luck it was a pain in the ass.

Lanie_momofone
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:42 AM
im pretty good with comp stuff...but got to admit...i dont know how to do any of the stuff you ladies are suggesting....man i suck lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KandiceN
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:43 AM

What you need to do is restart your computer, JUST after all the text rattles by your screen on start up, press F8.  This should prompt you to start in safemode.  Go to safemode, from there run a virus scan. 

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:47 AM

We had this problem - we had to bring it in to a computer place - it was a NASTy one and we did a bunch in safe mode, etc...  Nothing would get it off.

It was like the one someone described where it pretended to be a windows anti-virus program.  It SUCKED!

Sandyr911
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM

We keep a thumb drive with malware bytes on it just for this reason.  And also give it a different name.....rename it so it isnt "malware bytes" because some of those viruse4s will not let it run but if you change the name of the program it will.

Good Luck.

bec94
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:09 AM
Good idea.

Quoting Sandyr911:

We keep a thumb drive with malware bytes on it just for this reason.  And also give it a different name.....rename it so it isnt "malware bytes" because some of those viruse4s will not let it run but if you change the name of the program it will.

Good Luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wiard4jesus
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:14 AM
We have dealt with this issue before & took it to a computer Tech to have it taken care of...After we installed AVG on it & all of our other computers & laptops we have never had virus problems again:) By going into safemode like other people are saying should get you to where you want to be to start....Good Luck...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)