Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those that have children of different races...

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM
  • 17 Replies

or even of the same race, but may have very contrasting skin color....

Do people make comments to you about the differences in your children's color? Do you feel like they stare more than they would with other families? Do you think they stare because they don't approve or because they are just trying to figure out if they are adopted, all yours, or what?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emelymac
by Emely on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:46 AM

These are mine. They look completely different. I've never noticed anyone staring at them, but when people find out they're sisters it's always followed by a comment.  I do know people stare at me when I'm with my youngest. I can only imagine what some think.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM

My kids are both caucasion, but dh is part Italian.

Ds2 is not very dark during the year, but in summer he really tans quickly (even with SPF 50).  He also has blond super curly hair.

3 times one summer I had women approach me and ask what he was "mixed" with...  I was like "well, ummm, his dad" and then explained he is part Italian.

One woman did not believe me and was like "Yeah, right!".  LOL!  OK.... insert eye roll!

I have not been asked since that one summer.  He was more tan as his babysitter took him for a walk everyday to pick up her kids from school that spring.

jen.mom.of.four
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:55 AM
Yeah they stare and make horrible comments. DH and I are both white. oldest 2 kids are white, then we have a bi-racial son and the youngest is ghost white. We adopted our son but people don't think of that. I get looked at like I am the town slut.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Do you think that people stare when you are with your youngest because you have darker skin?  Sorry, I don't know what you look like so I am just guessing. I am assuming the girls are 100% siblings?

Anyway, the reason I am curious is because I am considering having another child. This child will be a different race from my other four children. I am just curious if there is public acceptance or if people are rude shits.

When my bf and I take all of our kids out, people do stare slightly. It does not seem malicious though. I think they are trying to figure out why we have such a rainbow of children that alternate between white and biracial.  I tell my bf they probably think I cheated on him a lot...lol.

Anyway, since he has darker skin and my kids are white, he gets more stares when he is walking around with my boys. People probably just assume his kids are mine.

Your daughters are beautiful btw and look very much alike to me when you start breaking down features.

Quoting emelymac:

These are mine. They look completely different. I've never noticed anyone staring at them, but when people find out they're sisters it's always followed by a comment.  I do know people stare at me when I'm with my youngest. I can only imagine what some think.

epoh
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:03 AM
My kids don't look anything like me. They're half puerto rican. They have a nice mix of the two skin tones though so no one really questions it.

When they're with their titi people do compliment her on her children, because they look more like her than me. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Our oldest dd Lilly- this was after 8 hours in the pool a few days ago...she is adopted from China.

This is our youngest dd- biological...Karli- 34 months old..

This was taken in December on a cruise..myself, Dh, and the girls. 

We get stared at ALL the time. We get rude comments at times...most people don't care, but there are those few that disagree with International Adoption and they make uneducated asinine comments. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13

Moderator- Healthy Weight Loss
Moderator- Picky Eaters
beerebelly
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:07 AM

My sister had 2 kids with her husband who is Spanish (she is white) the boy came out very dark and the girl very white with red hair.  She does get looks and has been asked if they have the same father.  I will try and find a pic.

beerebelly
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM

momofnhimai
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:19 AM

My husband is white and I am Asian.  My husband take my daughter anywhere without me; some people will asked him if she is adopted, it does not bother me.

Kris_PBG
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 9:25 AM

You have beautiful girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quoting mcginnisc:

Our oldest dd Lilly- this was after 8 hours in the pool a few days ago...she is adopted from China.

This is our youngest dd- biological...Karli- 34 months old..

This was taken in December on a cruise..myself, Dh, and the girls. 

We get stared at ALL the time. We get rude comments at times...most people don't care, but there are those few that disagree with International Adoption and they make uneducated asinine comments. 

Claire

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)