Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

in todays society should ppl just assume....

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM
  • 119 Replies
that every child has a father involved..?
My ds dad refuses to be in his life...which maybe the best for ds.
Ds broke his foot. He has a neon green cast.. We were at walmart yesterday and a lady said 'oh u poor thing...i bet you and daddy were playing baseball huh?' ds i 2 so he just looked at her. Dd is 7 and she had a weird look like mom wat is she talking about? I just said oh noo he fell off a chai.r. And she said oh noo did your strong daddy help you up?? And then we just started walking. It made me feel uncomfortable and irritated that she just assumed this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippieMomma08
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:57 AM

It makes me uncomfortable when people assume that my children's father is not in the picture. I hate it when people ask if Daddy is still around and then act like I'm so lucky that he decided to marry me after knocking me up.

It really works both ways.

mes_deux_amours
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM
Would it be better for them to take one look at you and assume he isn't?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjsMom0508
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:01 AM

I hate that!  I had pictures done of DS 2 weeks ago.  When they were doing all the enhanced pictures they did a whole bunch of Dad ones because Father's Day is coming up and were trying to get me to buy some of them.  I told them I wasn't interested several times.  I finally looked right at the guy and said, "Look, I'm not buying one of those pictures.  His dad is not around."  The guy looked at me like I had horns or something growing out of my head.  DS doesn't need a dad anyway.  He has a grandpa which is WAY better lol.

chalisa0
by Kim on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM

She was just being friendly.  Teach your kids to smile and nod. 

Elevenhounds
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM
Regardless of whether they assume that yours is a 2 parent family the comments that lady made were very odd.

My kids grew up with daddy around and I would STILL find those comments strange.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM
well i think in some conversations it is more acceptable...but assuming dad and him were playing baseball ad dad rescued him was a bit..odd..but id it were ohhh u must look like dad...thats different...

And i think if your husband married u just bc you got 'knocked up' then that is sad and id consider myself and my son lucky we never had to deal drama from his dad.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyof2n0308
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:06 AM
i agree...i hate wen i see shirts and hats that say daddys little bla blah...and no mommy ones... I got ds one that says grandpas handy helper tho!!!

Quoting AjsMom0508:

I hate that!  I had pictures done of DS 2 weeks ago.  When they were doing all the enhanced pictures they did a whole bunch of Dad ones because Father's Day is coming up and were trying to get me to buy some of them.  I told them I wasn't interested several times.  I finally looked right at the guy and said, "Look, I'm not buying one of those pictures.  His dad is not around."  The guy looked at me like I had horns or something growing out of my head.  DS doesn't need a dad anyway.  He has a grandpa which is WAY better lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarah824
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I actually get bothered because I feel the assumption goes the other way. People act like I am a single mom because DH works/travels alot so it is just me and the kids lots of times.

This goes back to when I was in high school but even then people were always amazed that I lived with BOTH parents, not just one. It used to drive me nuts!

Misery_Stitches
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM
I would of made her feel guilty and say dad is dead or something lol, my daughters dad has nothing to do with us either, she will be 10 this year and he has never even met her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)