• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

your child drinks 2 bottles of soda and I'm a bad mom because my kid doesn't?smh

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM
  • 47 Replies

The other day my parents and I went to see a few family members in Queens NY that we haven't seen in a while. When we get there my aunt was cooking up a storm and my mom, my sisters, my aunts and I went to help her cook.  My cousin in a first time mom, and like many first time mom she's not an expert on things.  But common sense is somethiong we should all use right? My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw her filling up her ds bottle with soda, and she popped it in his mouth and he was drinking it like it was water.  My other cousins 3 kids (ages 14-7years old)  almost finished a 2 liter bottle of soda each during dinner.  

They offered my ds (age 2.5) a glass of soda, and he said "no".  They were shocked to see he turned down soda, and asked me if he drank soda. I said "No, he doesn't like it. Its not that I don't give him any he just doesn't like it"  So I gave him his sippy cup which had water and he finished it (he had been running outside for an hour lol) My other cosuin with the 3 boys asked me how i got my ds to drink water, bewcause her boys don't drink a single drop of water and start choking on it because they can't swallow it.  I didn't know what to say, I just smiled and said "well, every kid is different I guess" They acted like I was a bad mom because ds didn't like soda.  It was even worse when they gave him candy and chocolate.  Ds doesn't like candy or chocolate, but I took it and said thank you.  When they found out ds didn't like candy, chocolate, or ice cream they asked if I deprived him of these things?  I laughed and said no, because I LOVE chocolate so there's always some in the house, and I also LOVE ice cream I have a box in in the freezer.  I laughed and sais" He just doesn't like it!" They aced like I was the worst mom becasue my kid doesn't like those things.  They started saying "Thats why he's so skinny!" (ds in 2.5 and weighs 30 lbs. But he's short too lol.  He eats 3 meals a day and snacks oin between, I'm not starving him!)

My mom jumped in and told them my son eats a lot, he just likes HEALTHY food lol.  I didn feel bad at some point when all they did was stare at him like he was an alien, but I know my baby is well fed, and soda isn't good for him. 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sxybxmami
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:50 AM

sorry for the typos, I have my 4 month old ds with me and he's touching  the keyboard lol.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:53 AM

How old was the kid with the bottle of soda?  That's insane...

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM

If we're having a cook out or party I usually give my 3 yr old a little bit of soda. She gets 3 ounces tops and another 3 ounces of water mixed in. I also do that with her juice. Everyone thinks it's funny because instead of complaining about me putting water in it, she actually asks for the water.

AngeLnChainZ
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I have the opposite problem, my son drinks a 6oz bottle (Drink bottle, not baby bottle LOL) of Mt. Dew in the morning and then one at night. Most freak out at this but fail to realize WHY he does it. Hes ADHD and it helps him unwind.

poshkat
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:56 AM

wow..........yeah. you are a terrible mom! how dare you not load your kid up with sugar? he doesnt like it? FORCE HIM TO EAT IT!!!!!!!!

j/k. my DS hates chocolate (i dont know how that happened, i eat chocolate everyday) and he only gets soda sometimes. he'd rather drink cold water than anything too.

willysmama
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I get those stares a lot from my family. My son is 6 yrs old and doesn't like sweets that much. He doesn't drink soda either(he doesn't really like it). He drinks his milk, and his juice and on a rare occasion water.

I'm sorry your family was giving ya a hard time. Each kid is different.

MadJack607
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM

wow. i would never think about putting soda in a bottle for a child. She apparently never saw the science experiment about what soda does to teeth. My sd never liked soda or sweets untill recently. Healthy food tastes better. Thats her words.

Misery_Stitches
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:00 AM
They sound like my sister - she couldn't afford formula and her son wasn't liking cow milk so my stupid sister filled his bottles with freaking coke or fanta! I used to get so angry, and of course he had horrid teeth, she never took him to the dentist so i wiukd take him and be embarrased because id get the dentists lecture even though it wasn't me doing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Quoting AngeLnChainZ:

I have the opposite problem, my son drinks a 6oz bottle (Drink bottle, not baby bottle LOL) of Mt. Dew in the morning and then one at night. Most freak out at this but fail to realize WHY he does it. Hes ADHD and it helps him unwind.

I heard about caffine helping ADHD, good to know.  Does it really help a lot?  They say with Mountain Dew, just make sure they brush really well afterwards because of tooth decay. 

MicheleJM
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:03 AM

My MIL used to think my sons were not american because they did not like french fries and hamburgers.  Even now if we go to McD's my son will often ask for apples with his kid's meal.  I didn't see the problem.  I also used to say he was switched at birth because he isn't crazy for chocolate and I am.

You don't want to hear my opinion on soda in baby bottles.  It drives me up the wall and as for my father it's all he can do not to say something to the mother.  All I can think of is how bad that sugar is for their teeth.  Dental rot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)