Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pills in my nieces carseat..wwyd? *edit with the back story and pictures. Edit again.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM
  • 120 Replies

What would you do if you found pills hidden inside your baby niece's carseat while you were babysitting her?

Full story: My sister in law is young (21) and has always kind of been looked at as the "black sheep" of my husbands family. But, my husband and I have tried to be there for her, since his other sibling and his parents kind of cut her out (not totally, but she gets like zero help/support from them). Last year, she gave birth to our niece (who we love to death) and she's now 7 months old.

My sister in law had some trouble with the law for selling prescription pain pills prior to her having my niece. She got caught, spent some time in jail, and is now on probation. To our knowledge, since she got out of jail, and had our niece, she's completely cleaned up/changed (she was never ON drugs, she was just getting them and selling them).

We babysit our niece all the time (at least 5 days a week while my SIL works) and have never noticed anything strange/out of the ordinary. Today I'm babysitting her for a few hours this morning. The lining of her carseat (I'll take pictures if you guys want, so you can see what I mean) was looking weird (like there was a giant ball under it or something) so I thought it was one of my nieces toys and I took off the lining to get it out (thinking it couldn't be that comfortable for her to sit in her carseat with that under her).

When I pulled it out, it was a pink baggie all wadded up. I opened it and inside were some little white pills, some larger ones (that looks like Tums or something) and some blue/white capsules.

I'm not really sure what to do. I REALLY don't want to get my SIL in trouble, since we thought she was doing so well, she's really changed/cleaned up, etc. but I'm really worried about my niece IF she's gone back to her "old ways". It puts my husband and I in an incredibly tough situation.

Pictures: It's kind of hard to see but here's where the pink baggie was wadded up (underneath the liner) which made it stick out like a ball.

Here's the baggie I pulled out

And the contents

EDIT:

I found out what the pills are. The capsules are Macrobid but who knows what's actually inside them. The smaller white ones are Ondansetron (which is used for nausea, etc.) and I'm almost positive the larger ones are Tums.

None of these are like prescription pain killers or something you'd think would be of any sort of "street value" so I'm pretty confused at this point.

Thanks for everyones help and opinions. :) I guess I'll just talk to my husband about it and go from there. If they aren't like oxy and all that.. I'm not sure it's a major issue anymore. Maybe I just overreacted? Idk. But thank you all!

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Justine1123
by Justine on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM
Ummm... 1. Find out what they are. 2. Need an explanation. 3. Possibly call the cops because who puts a child in danger by just basically handing them pills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LiveLifeLoving
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:01 PM

1) I'm not sure what they are yet. I'm trying to figure that out. 2) I'm not really sure how to approach my SIL about this. There's quite a backstory to this and so I need to approach it carefully. 3) I'm not sure about calling the cops yet.

Quoting Justine1123:

Ummm... 1. Find out what they are. 2. Need an explanation. 3. Possibly call the cops because who puts a child in danger by just basically handing them pills.

Pregnancy Ticker

ginabear1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I would approach the subject with her for sure. Maybe not go as far as the copstho.. Just find out what the whole truth is before making judgments.

BlueEyedBrunett
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Id call poision control, because you dont know if she took any of them.

LiveLifeLoving
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:15 PM

They weren't within reach of her. They were stuffed up inside her carseat.

Quoting BlueEyedBrunett:

Id call poision control, because you dont know if she took any of them.

Pregnancy Ticker

mes_deux_amours
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I would take them out. Put them to the side and ask about them when her mom/dad/guardian came back. If it were an accident they'd get a lecture from me about being responsible with dangerous things. If it weren't then we'd have a new issue to deal with since someone has a problem, using the baby as a  drug mule is a new low.

LiveLifeLoving
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Bump for the full story update. I'll add pictures in a minute.

burninghalo
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM
Go online and find out what they are. If you cant figure it out tell us the markings and colors of the pills and we can look it up.
Pretty sad for her to put her baby in danger like that. Definitely confront her when you find out what they are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
activitymode
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM
This! Omg who hides drugs in a babys carseat?

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

I would take them out. Put them to the side and ask about them when her mom/dad/guardian came back. If it were an accident they'd get a lecture from me about being responsible with dangerous things. If it weren't then we'd have a new issue to deal with since someone has a problem, using the baby as a  drug mule is a new low.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)