• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Winslow boy dies after rare injury sustained during little league game( my heart goes out to this family).

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM
  • 13 Replies

WINSLOW, AZ - Hundreds of Winslow residents are grieving after a 13-year-old died while playing a baseball game.

Hayden Walton was a member of the Winslow Little League.

As he went to lay down a bunt Tuesday night, he was struck in the chest by a pitch.

"He dropped the bat and headed off to first base. Probably took two steps and he fell," remembered Jamey Jones, who works for the Winslow Little League.

Paramedics said Walton died from commotio cordis. After getting hit by the baseball, his heart gave out.

"Just a good kid, a good kid all around," Jones said of Walton.

A memorial of candles and flowers has been placed at the field by grieving members of the community.

Games will resume Friday.

Walton’s picture and the memorial will stay at the field as a tribute.

EDIT:::Both my youngest daughters play little league.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by Tammie on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I read this article this morning... so sad...

Chaotic_Rayne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:14 PM

:'(

pair-a-dice97
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I know this just breaks my heart. My girls are in little league and it just hits close to home!!!

MrsBer
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:19 PM

It's scary to think that a hit to the chest is all it took to kill him. I'm sitting here running through all the blows my kids have took to the chest and it freaks me out.

notjstasocermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Sounds like he already had a heart condition. Tragic, poor family.

Kaydence2010
by Maggie on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM
thats incredibly scary. my younger brother has been playing baseball since he was little. he is a freshman in college and plays on the university's team. hes always been so serious about his baseball career and has had his share of injuries. he is a pitcher. so line drives head towards him often.

i feel so sorry for this family and the unexpected loss of the young boy :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel20
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:22 PM

read it this morning on yahoo. so sad =(

ZoeCY
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM

That is so sad!  I have heard of a case like this before (except for I think in that case it was Lacrosse).  That article said that this can sometimes happen specifically with boys around that age and when the ball hits them at exactly the "right" time and in the "right" place.  It has something to do with their development or something like that.  Although this obviously could be something different.  I couldn't imagine being those parents though, or even anyone there watching.

activitymode
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM
That's horrible!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetmissy_05
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Oh so sad!! RIP little boy!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)