• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One of my friends asked me this question and it got me thinking...(regarding child support)

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:14 PM
  • 59 Replies

A friend of mine has two little girls by his ex-wife...He has the children every Friday through Sunday, school vacations, every other holiday and 6 weeks in the summer time...

My friend has a decent job and was paying $650 a month in child support for the past two years...

In the past 8 months his ex has given birth to another child and got married and quit her job.. (she was only making about 1,000 less then my friend a month)

When she quit her job she took my friend back to court to raise the child support, his child support went from $650 month up to 1,100 a month because she no longer technically has an income..(she told my friend she quit her job because her husband wants her home to raise their little boy and care for the house)

My friend was over last night chilling with DH and I and was telling me he didn't feel that it was fair that his support was raised, because she choose to quit her job that she has had for the past 6 years to become a sahm to her new baby and that if she wanted to quit her job and use her DH's income as her income they should have counted that during the child support hearing because it was not only up to him to provide for his children, but hers as well..

I told him I agree...

So do you agree or disagree and why?

Should he had been ordered to pay more in support because she chose to quit her job just because she had a new baby?

**EDIT**He tried to fight it in court and even had the text message where she told him she had quit her job because her new DH wanted her to now stay home and care for their new baby and house, the judge did not want to see it and was told..."It doesn't matter the reason she quit her job, she now has no income so it was his job to fully support the children"

He did tell me last night he has filed for 50/50 custody since he already has the children not only during his visitations, but at other times as well and since he supplies everything at his house he would need for them including their own room, their own dressers with clothes in them, shoes, toys and everything else that they need for when they are with him, so she doesn't have to send them with anything when they come to his house...

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom_of_Grace
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I agree with him as well. He should only have to pay for his children, not her new lifestyle.

DamianaFire
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM
No. He shouldn't have to pay more. Sounds like the ex wants him help her be able to stay home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM

BUMP!

love_my_family
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I agree with your friend.

thehickinhickor
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Quoting Mom_of_Grace:

I agree with him as well. He should only have to pay for his children, not her new lifestyle.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rockinmomto2
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM

It sucks for him, but that's the way it is. When they calculate child support, they take only the two parents' income into consideration. Since she no longer has her own personal income, he is now responsible for a larger part of the child support, just like if they were still married. Her new husband is NOT responsible for supporting her kids with her ex.

kenzelb
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM
i agree with your friend 100%...we are in a simiular situation..its a big mess...
laciD
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I also agree with him.

JACsMama
I totally agree. It's not his problem or responsibility to allow her to be a SAHM. If her new husband wanted her to stay home, he should foot the bill, not her ex. I would fight that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christine0813

I would lawyer up on that one. She chose to leave her job. She is capable of working. His CS shouldn't have gone up. He is basically supporting this new baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)