Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wow...this church is controlling teens!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM
  • 31 Replies

Okay so I just got off the phone with my little sister. She is 17 and having boy problems. She's liked this guy for about 6 months and he likes her but they "can't" date. The reason they can't date is because his youth leaders at church told the youth group  that none of them need to have girl friends or boy friends now because they are too young and don't know what they're doing and need to focus on school bla bla bla. I think it's good ADVICE to give them but these people are telling the kids who are part of the youth band that if they have a girlfriend/boyfriend they will not be allowed to play in the band! 

Is that not the most stupid thing you've ever heard? I can't believe a church is making teens choose over church and the person they "love" 

If my child's church was like this, I wouldn't want him/her going there. It seems like they are trying to control them! 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DelaneyD
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:19 PM

hahaha..well personally, i fully agree that teenagers do not need to be dating someone exclusively at such a young age......

vgmomof2grtkds
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:20 PM

While I agree that your sister has the rest of her life to date, it isn't right for this church to tell them what they can and cannot do.  It isn't really for them to decide what these teens do and don't do, it is up to their parents.

Rhyne
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:21 PM
Is he Jehovah Witness? I had a guy friend whomwanted to go out on a date with a girl, but it was forbidden.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM

I agree with him, there's nothing controlling about that, it's just really good advice.

addiecakesmommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Quoting DelaneyD:

hahaha..well personally, i fully agree that teenagers do not need to be dating someone exclusively at such a young age......

I agree but at the same time, that's the parents choice to decide not a church. 

addiecakesmommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Quoting Rhyne:

Is he Jehovah Witness? I had a guy friend whomwanted to go out on a date with a girl, but it was forbidden.

No, it's a baptist church. 

addiecakesmommy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Quoting Sweet_Faith:

I agree with him, there's nothing controlling about that, it's just really good advice.

It's good advice but saying he can't play in the band because he has a girl friend is a way of controlling him 

DelaneyD
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:24 PM

but on the same hand they want their kids to fully commit to the band. which they made in the first place by joining the band..teens get all crazy when they "fall in love"  other things in their lives take a backseat..such as playing in the band. 

they just want focused kids

Quoting addiecakesmommy:

Quoting DelaneyD:

Sweet_Faith
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:26 PM

I agree

Quoting DelaneyD:

but on the same hand they want their kids to fully commit to the band. which they made in the first place by joining the band..teens get all crazy when they "fall in love"  other things in their lives take a backseat..such as playing in the band. 

they just want focused kids

Quoting addiecakesmommy:

Quoting DelaneyD:

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Quoting DelaneyD:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)