Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mob At Jefferson Memorial!!

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have some friends who are there. I hope they weren't arrested!  Sad thing is Thomas Jefferson would have loved people standing up for our rights. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43279303

NBCWashington.com
updated 2 minutes ago

Last week, five men got cuffed at the Jefferson Memorial for doing a silent dance at the Jefferson Memorial.

The men said they were exercising their rights as citizens to free speech. The Park Police said they were breaking a law recently reaffirmed in court.

This weekend, the dancers are back. And they've brought a posse.

The five original arrestees, whose dance moves earned them arrests and a few body checks, have put out a national call for dancers to come to a "Party at TJ's." Backed by civil liberty group CODEPINK, they've worked to get the word out for more people to join in another session of expressive dancing.

NBC Washington's Tom Sherwood said protesters have been arriving at the Memorial from across the country. One person told NBC he had traveled all the way from California to attend the event.

Park Police also arrived in force on Saturday morning, in anticipation of the dance-off. Tom Sherwood said most of the law enforcement was keeping a low profile, except for one officer, who stood watch carrying an assault rifle.

The dance party drew hundreds of spectators and dozens of dancers.

Police asked the gathered crowd to clear the rotunda shortly after 12 p.m, but around 20 remained, including a man wearing an oversized Thomas Jefferson head. Those who stayed inside the memorial boogied in front of Thomas Jefferson's statue, as the crowd chanted "TJ, TJ."

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
coleysmama
by Lisa on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Don't these idiots (dancers) have anything better to do?

If those are the rules, those are the rules! These people need to grow up and direct their energy elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xxxAthena
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:46 PM

while code pink irks the bejebus out of me i do think people have the right to protest as long as they break no laws...i did however see there was a Law recently enacted that concerns this and it would be nice to know what it was and how they were breaking it.

MsDean
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:48 PM

What is the law exactly that they broke?

greenie63
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Watch this.

Quoting MsDean:

xxxAthena
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:08 PM

sooolet me get this straight....a dude in his mid to late 20's finds it just simply outrageous that he cant dance at the Jefferson memorial because a law says so so now he and all his buddies are going there specifically so they can dance and break a law?? why does it have to be the Jefferson memorial?? i just got back from Washington DC there is a HUGE green area right by there that they can go dance to their little hearts content without getting hassled by the cops. i dunno...i think it is odd and silly to break a law for something like that. oh and the part in red that said assault wasn't assault because he wasn't putting his hands behind his back..it was resisting arrest and the cop was within his bounds to put him on the ground. also they ruined that day for the people that had traveled there from other states to actually see the memorial..way to get it shut down all for the sake of breaking a law.

Quoting greenie63:

Watch this.

Quoting MsDean:

.thickie.thick.
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:10 PM
This.

Quoting coleysmama:

Don't these idiots (dancers) have anything better to do?

If those are the rules, those are the rules! These people need to grow up and direct their energy elsewhere.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)