Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need advice. . . Please anyone????

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:26 PM
  • 6 Replies

My son is 3 and a half now and he has started like almost stuttering but not when he talks all time.

So I was wondering if maybe he just talks to fast and cant get the word out of his mouth or what is happening its not all words and its not everytime he says something but I just dont know if I should worry yet or if any kids do this?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Brittany88
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Like he was talking and just said what like 15 times before he said what he wanted to get out, but its not like all the time and now he is talking just fine, i am worried something happened.

SarahSue87
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:46 PM

a couple friends of mine stuttered. it might be he is talking to fast, or excited about what he is saying. i wouldnt worry about it till he is older. this just just my opinion, i have no experience with this, but i thought i would tell you what i thought and bump this for you! GL

AngeLnChainZ
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Could just be talking too fast or his thoughts and words not matching up. My son gets like that at times, especially when he is excited about something and I Have to make him calm down.

Elayna90
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:49 PM
My 4 yo is in speak therapy and recently started doing that too. I asked his therapist and she told me at this age, their minds go faster than their mouths so they get caught up on words a lot. Some things you can do are talk slower and remind him to talk slower.
She said that it's not something to worry about unless they stutter all the time on certain sounds or on parts of words.
But when it's a whole word, they have usually just "lost their train of thought" or can't think of the word they need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jacqalyn
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM

My son use to do this as well not as much now though. Usually it would be when he would get very excited, we would have to tell him to slow down and start over.

MommaNoonoo
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 4:44 PM

It's pretty common, I think.  Just ask him to take a deep breath, decide what he wants to say and start over.  Don't make a big deal about it! (Not that I think you are, just saying...)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)