• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHAT DO YOU SKIMP OUT ON?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM
  • 25 Replies

I'm asking because I just had a heated discussion on the comment section of my friend's photo.  She took a picture of a plate with cupcakes on it, with a sign that said: "$2.49."  The caption of her photo said: "The most expensive cupcakes I've ever seen."  Naturally, I among her other friends commented on our experiences.  I told her I once had a cupcake for $3.99 in San Francisco.  I told her the cupcake was made with organic and natural ingredients and it was delicious.  I'd pay $3.99 for that cupcake again.

So, one of the commenters directed herself at me lecturing me about the economy, and how "most of us struggle to make ends meet with minimum wage...that she can't believe how there are those fools that pay that much for sh*t like that."

Here is my reasoning:  I think everyone decides what is worth paying too much for and what they can go cheap on.  I will ALWAYS pay good money for good quality and delicious food.  If I can afford it, I will.  It doesn't mean I'm rich or superficial...just that I think that when it comes to food, we should never skimp out on.  It's going inside our bodies.

I also think that buying name brand clothing is moronic.  But to each his own.  I had a friend who wore designer clothes, but could only afford to buy stuff off the Dollar Menu at Wendy's.  I'm not saying she's wrong.  Just that her priorities are different.

What do you skimp out on?  What do you spend good money on?  Why?  What is your reasoning? 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LMJ1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:51 PM

BUMP

LMJ1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:53 PM

bump

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM

As you said to each their own.  I'm not a brand whore but I believe in quality over quantity.  Take for instance my mom thinks I should buy Naeem shoes from Walmart.  Well to make her happy I did just to prove a point...  So I went and bought him some for just 'play time' outside because he is pretty rough on shoes.  Well within a month they had holes.  He's had Nike since he was an infant and i've never had issues with them having holes....  Soo if I have to keep buying him shoes every month from Walmart it's just as an expensive if not more expensive than buying him Nike.

LMJ1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I hear ya.  I bought my kid the best brand of formula because to me, food should always be good;  but I got her store brand diapers, and she did just great with them.  I have expensive tennis shoes.  I have lots of cheap sandals from Old Navy, Payless, and Target/Walmart.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

As you said to each their own.  I'm not a brand whore but I believe in quality over quantity.  Take for instance my mom thinks I should buy Naeem shoes from Walmart.  Well to make her happy I did just to prove a point...  So I went and bought him some for just 'play time' outside because he is pretty rough on shoes.  Well within a month they had holes.  He's had Nike since he was an infant and i've never had issues with them having holes....  Soo if I have to keep buying him shoes every month from Walmart it's just as an expensive if not more expensive than buying him Nike.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Diapers is another good point.  I loved Target's brand of diapers...  they are called Up & Up or something like that.  They were cute w/ the green/blue polka dot design plus we're cheaaaaaaaap and never leaked  :)  It all depends.  Some items are better than name brand or just as good.  However, some items like toilet tissue, mayo, salad dressing, bread, personals, etc I just can't skimp on!  No way am I wiping my ass with sand paper ;P 

Quoting LMJ1:

I hear ya.  I bought my kid the best brand of formula because to me, food should always be good;  but I got her store brand diapers, and she did just great with them.  I have expensive tennis shoes.  I have lots of cheap sandals from Old Navy, Payless, and Target/Walmart.

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

LMJ1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM

LOL
True.  I can't have any other brand of cheese but Tillamook (not sure if I even spelled it right).  When my kid was born, I started out Huggies.  But it added up on the wallet too quick, so I tried the Walmart brand.  They were ok, but waaay to bulky, and my then newborn had her legs like really wide open.  So, I switched to the Up & up by Target as well, and have never looked back. 

Toilet paper for me, I buy the Walmart brand, but their thick and soft kind...kind like their version of the Charmin.  It's actually very nice!  xD

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Diapers is another good point.  I loved Target's brand of diapers...  they are called Up & Up or something like that.  They were cute w/ the green/blue polka dot design plus we're cheaaaaaaaap and never leaked  :)  It all depends.  Some items are better than name brand or just as good.  However, some items like toilet tissue, mayo, salad dressing, bread, personals, etc I just can't skimp on!  No way am I wiping my ass with sand paper ;P 

Quoting LMJ1:

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

KME3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:14 PM
I don't skimp out on much..hell I just paid 10$ for cherries..lol..i do buy the cheaper diapers though...that's about the only thing I skimp on...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
guysandnodolls
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:17 PM
Tilamook rocks, we go through so much of it! Will not skimp on tampons, will skimp on diapers, wipes, contact solution, and some food items.

Quoting LMJ1:

LOL
True.  I can't have any other brand of cheese but Tillamook (not sure if I even spelled it right).  When my kid was born, I started out Huggies.  But it added up on the wallet too quick, so I tried the Walmart brand.  They were ok, but waaay to bulky, and my then newborn had her legs like really wide open.  So, I switched to the Up & up by Target as well, and have never looked back. 

Toilet paper for me, I buy the Walmart brand, but their thick and soft kind...kind like their version of the Charmin.  It's actually very nice!  xD

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Quoting LMJ1:

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
born2bAmother
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:25 PM

i skimp out on everything....i dont see paying full price for something that is just as good as the "name brand" stuff.....i love placess like plato's closet and kid to kid which are all consignment shops....when i was single and had no cares i would spend at the most 25.00 on a shirt...but now i have responsibilities and realize money only goes so far these days so i need to make the most of it ....think about it when you buy clothes new once you wash it its "used " and no one can tell whether you got that from a consignment shop or from an actual store ....half the people that sell things to a consignment shop only wore it a couple of times and realize they want something new....and as far as food goes only when i cannot find a compatible replacement for a "name brand" do i actually buy the "name brand"......im always looking for the deal....its just how i was raised......

LMJ1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Yes, I can't skimp out on sanitary napkins, either!!!  I'm trying to think what food items I do skimp out on....I guess not much. But I really do try the store brand first before shunning it, though. 

Quoting guysandnodolls:

Tilamook rocks, we go through so much of it! Will not skimp on tampons, will skimp on diapers, wipes, contact solution, and some food items.

Quoting LMJ1:

LOL

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Quoting LMJ1:

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)