Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shingles

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM
  • 9 Replies

I started breaking out in what looked like bug bites about 2 weeks ago. It started on my right side and within a day I have around 7 on my side and hip area. Over the next few days the "bug bites" started clustering up and were itchy as hell. I started putting bactrin on it with no results. Fast forward a few days and it then spread to my left side in the same manner, starting out with a few bumps and then forming a cluster.

Not knowing what it was I go in to express care to be seen and the dr tells me he thinks it MAY be shingles but he's not 100% and theres no sure way to test if it is or not but he's dumbfounded because according to him shingles doesn't usually break out in more than one spot, meaning it's usually on one side or the other.

A week later and it is now on my back and down my thighs. I've been on antibiotics since going to the dr and it's not improving at all. Sooooo

What i'm wondering is for anyone who has dealt with a shingles outbreak, does this sound anything like what yall dealt with? and has anyone ever had shingles spread the way it's spreading on me?

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
AngeLnChainZ
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM

BUMP!

Jessy613
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I had shingles about 7 years ago. I believe I was just prescribed an antibiotic and it cleared up in a few days. Sorry to hear that antibiotics aren't helping you. When I had shingles, it started on my lower legs and came all the way up to my hips, It was awful and I was so miserable. I hope you get better soon.

weezer_cookie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Yes, I was told it travels along a nerve.  Yours sounds worse than what I had.  Sorry you're going though this :(

a_and_j_momma
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM
My son had it and he was in pain. It ran along his nerve line on one side. From what I understand they only run along a nerve path and hurt, not itch
AngeLnChainZ
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Thats another thing the dr said that made him kinda dumbfounded , I haven't had pain at all with them nor have I had any other ill symptoms that ive been reading most people get with it.

Another question, did the clusters look like rough patches of skin or blisters?

Quoting a_and_j_momma:

My son had it and he was in pain. It ran along his nerve line on one side. From what I understand they only run along a nerve path and hurt, not itch

FieryDragonfly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Yeah I had gotten shingles about 2 years ago now. It started on the left side of my chest and wrapped around under my arm and to my left shoulder blade. I was told by my doctor that shingles run along the nerve patterns meaning that typically they dont cross the midline. For example if you cut your body down the middle up and down then left and right. That is they dont unless like chicken pox you scratch or spread them in a way.  It is very likely that you may have shingles.

When I got the shingles they looked like bloches at first and then they started to look like heat rash and started to have a stinging pain. Shingles hurt really bad because they are related to the nervous system. If you are really concerned I would definately get a second opinion that and because they gave you an antibiodic. That is not going to help, I was given a cream just like when you get chicken pox.

Good luck and I hope you get better.

Tiffwith3plus3
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 3:07 PM
Shingles are a virus that lives in your body after you've had chicken pox. Antibiotics wont help. If you catch it in the first 72 hours, valtrex and steroids can help some. I've had it twice, in two different places on my back. The spots should travel along the same nerve. The first time mine started at my spine and spread so that I had three clusters in an arc ending under my left armpit. They burn and itch like hell. Make sure you don't let anyone who hasn't had chicken pox or the vaccine come into contact with your blisters, especially elderly or pregnant women. Shingles aren't contagious but can cause chicken pox in those who aren't immune.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tralake2
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 6:54 PM
Hello, I was doing some research online and stumbled onto your post. My son had shingles at the age of 12, which is unusual considering the ferocity of the case of chicken pox he had at 2. What was really interesting was that the rash was on his right side just above his hip but the lymph nodes that were swollen was on the left. His doctor wrote him up for some medical journal. Also, they can scrape one of the bumps and look at it under a microscope. They should be familiar with what shingles looks like. Antibiotics are good, you probably also need a steroid.
mehere123
by on Aug. 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM

A friend of mines son had a rash and 1 doctor said it was shingles and come to find out it was Scarlett Fever so the antibiotic he was on for shingles wouldnt help the rash he had.......hope you get better soon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)