Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Migraine?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM
  • 13 Replies
Anyone have them? What type? What symptoms do you have? What gives you relief?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I get them. They usually last between 3-5 days. A few times they lasted a litte over a week. Sometimes when my sinuses act up, they get really bad. I have sensitivity to light, sound, movement.. Practically anything. I get annoyed QUICK! Nothing really helps. :( I take Tylenol and it calms them down a little but nothing major to where I'm up and moving again. They suck! I've had a CT Scan when I was in middle school for them but nothing came up. Just something I have to deal with I guess. I hope my girls don't experience these.

greenie63
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Yes I've had migraines all of my life. The earliest i remember having them is 12yrs old and I'm 48 now.  They are generally over my eyes, cause blurry vision, and nausea. I can't tolerate light, sounds, and odors when I have them. Certain things are triggers for me. Stress, cigarette smoke, perfumes, fumes can often set one off. Certain foods can start one like cheese or chocolate. I had a very bad one 2 days ago and thought I would need to go to the hospital, but thankfully sleep helped. 

I have a nuerologist, have had MRI's and been on many prescriptions. 

I've taken Topamax (horrible side effects), relpax, maltex, imatrex, zomig, and tylenol with codeine 3 for the very bad ones.  Zomig and Imatrex seem to work well when I feel one coming on. When they are full blown, only the tylenol with codeine 3 will help. I've had 3 so severe that I was taken to the hospital and given injections of a form of Demerol. I try my best to lay down in a dark cool room when they start. 

I hate them and if there is some kind of cure like surgery, I'd be game. 

ladyvamp5489
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:29 PM

I DO!  I have severe pain in my head, nausea, throwing up, eye pain, hearing and light sensitivity etc...  I HAVE to take a vicodin and lay down in a dark room and  sleep! 

lovelysenia
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:32 PM

i get really bad migraines, sucks i cant take medication but i usually just lay somewhere dark like my room and turn the air on, i usually fall asleep when i wake up i feel better.

Bits08
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:32 PM

I had them before ds.  They would be horrid, pounding headaches that would get worse with movement and light.  I was also nauseous.  A neurologist prescribed propanolol to take everyday and Imatrex for when a migraine would come, but the Imatrex gave me chest pain and made it hard to breathe.  Sleeping in a dark room was the only thing that really helped.  I dont get them anymore since giving birth though, thank goodness.

Darkangelpunk
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:33 PM
I think I have one right now it started Thursday night and I still have it it made me cry last night. This is my first one and I have never felt pain like this before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scoutfamilyof7
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:34 PM

I have had them since I was two. Mine were first caused my a thinning artery. Now they aren't sure why I have them. I just had another MRI done two weeks ago. I take Topamax daily and then Imitrex at the onset. I get them about 4 times a month and they last for several days. Light,sound smell everything gets to me. It is worse around my period. I end up in the ER at least once a month because I have one so bad that none of my meds touches the migraine.

pseudomamma
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:39 PM

I have them.  Mine start as a blind spot in my vision.  Reminds me of staring into headlights, then not being able to see after you look away. It grows to what looks like the pattern of a snake with a bright light behind it.  It keep growing until I can't see on one side.  When I first see it I take a combination of caffeine, acetaminophen, and a barbiturate.  Sometimes it takes away the pain.  I'm allowed to take up to 6 a day.  Then I go to bed.  My DH bought me a blind for over my eyes so I can block out sunlight.  My 10yr old makes fun of me, but I know he doesn't understand.  I once asked my dr for Vicodin.  He said it won't make my headache go away.  I told him I know but it will make me sleep thru the pain.  I've had a couple time when the vision thing started but the pain never came.  I've also had times when I've fallen asleep during one and it's like it picked back off where it left off.  The only thing I can point to is my monthly time is when I get them the worst.  Sometimes 3 a day.  I've heard they're more common in men, but I know many more women that have them.

luckygirl2000
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM

excedrin and percogesic! there b oth over the counter and arent expensive lie down somewhere w something cold on ur fact itll help! feel better i get them bad sometimes hugs

MrsWilmot
by Meggs on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM
My vision does the same thing. Except I don't go completely blind. I hate them!

Quoting pseudomamma:

I have them.  Mine start as a blind spot in my vision.  Reminds me of staring into headlights, then not being able to see after you look away. It grows to what looks like the pattern of a snake with a bright light behind it.  It keep growing until I can't see on one side.  When I first see it I take a combination of caffeine, acetaminophen, and a barbiturate.  Sometimes it takes away the pain.  I'm allowed to take up to 6 a day.  Then I go to bed.  My DH bought me a blind for over my eyes so I can block out sunlight.  My 10yr old makes fun of me, but I know he doesn't understand.  I once asked my dr for Vicodin.  He said it won't make my headache go away.  I told him I know but it will make me sleep thru the pain.  I've had a couple time when the vision thing started but the pain never came.  I've also had times when I've fallen asleep during one and it's like it picked back off where it left off.  The only thing I can point to is my monthly time is when I get them the worst.  Sometimes 3 a day.  I've heard they're more common in men, but I know many more women that have them.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)