Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NOT So "Surprising Past of Pit Bulls*

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM
  • 29 Replies

this was on yahoo earlier. while i am glad theres *finally* some positive press about pits, why is it "surprising?" well i guess it would be to people that beileve everything theyre told that happened to a friends cousins neighbors babysitters aunt, and cant find things out for themselves.

the pics are super cute, though.

The Upshot

Pit bulls’ surprising past: Nanny dogs

Try to quickly summon an image of good-with-small-children dog, and chances are you'll picture something adorably Benji-shaggy. Or maybe a sweetie-pie golden retriever, or a loveball of a lab. It's not likely, at least not in today's perception of the breed, that an American pit bull terrier leaps to mind.

But not so long ago, pit bulls were brought in as "nanny dogs," the trusted caretaker pups to watch over kids.

Vintage photographs recently posted on a personal blog show off the breed as babysitter.

More vintage photos of pit bulls with children

It's striking--and quite sad--to see such documentation of how beloved the now-maligned dog once was. The very same American pit bull is now more often associated with Michael Vick's dogfights, and stories of household pets gone bad, sometimes tragically involving kids.

In the case of Vick, who was convicted of running a dogfighting ring, 47 of the pit bulls from his kennel were taken to animal sanctuaries or adopted. One rehabilitated dog named Mel, who moved to Dallas with a new owner, even received an edible key to the city.

But back to the breed's history as a family dog: Helen Keller had a pit bull. Laura Ingalls Wilder, who wrote "Little House on the Prairie," owned one, too. And Petey, the mascot pup with the black eye patch in "The Little Rascals?" Pit bull.

Over time, the breed, which was also bred to battle bulls and fight other dogs, picked up a reputation for a nasty nature. Cesar Millan, the "dog whisperer" who is around the breed every day, says it's people who should be blamed, not the breed. He writes on his website, "Pit bulls get a bad rap because of irresponsible owners."

Responsible owners include Jon Stewart, Alicia Silverstone, Jamie Foxx, Jessica Biel, and Jessica Alba.

A boy stands with his best friend: the American ...
A vintage photo of a young girl with her pet ...
this is from another story but i liked it. lol
In this May 5, 2011 photo, Spike, red nose pit ...
these pics go with the story below it

Darahne Steen, Darryl Steen, Sierra Steen
Darryl Steen
Diamond

dog barked to wake owner Darryl Steen

Fire survivors, Darryl Steen, showing the burns on his back, is hugged by his daughter Darahne, 9, as her sister, Sierra, 16, look on with their pit bull, Diamond, after the dog received the 29th annual National Hero Dog Award from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in Los Angeles on Wednesday, May, 4, 2011. When her family's Hayward apartment caught fire in October 2010, the dog barked to wake owner Darryl Steen. He rushed to save his daughters, grabbing Darahne and dropping her out a second-story window. But he couldn't get through the smoke and flames to reach Sierra. Diamond not only wiggled through but shielded the teenager beneath a mattress until firefighters rescued them both. Sierra and her father were treated for burns and received skin grafts. Diamond spent six weeks at a veterinary hospital recovering from burns and smoke inhalation.

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:58 PM

BUMP!

lovinmykiddo07
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Pit bulls have been, and always will be, my favorite breed. Regardless of what the media portrays them to be.

kjoarcik
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM

I love my pittie. :) I saw that article about the dog saving its owners. Awesome!!

dmarie2101
by Diamond Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 5:59 PM

BUMP!

klespeedy0205
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Love it!  I have two big pit babies.

P.V.Hawkwind
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM

bump

KristaP0713
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:00 PM

They're amazing dogs and it's horrible they have such a bad reputation. Don't get me wrong, I've met my fair share of mean pits, and I can sit here and tell you that I'm 100% sure it was the owners fault.

My sister has 2 pitbulls and they are the biggest babies I've ever seen.

sophistcatdfury
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:01 PM
Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Pit bulls have been, and always will be, my favorite breed. Regardless of what the media portrays them to be.

1daughter6dogs
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

lynnie_poo
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 6:03 PM

LOVE THIS! I want a pitt so bad!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)