Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Please Pray!! I'm so scared! Update... 2 years after stroke.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM
  • 353 Replies

I'm in the ER right now. My 16 yr old lost feeling in her right side, and is not able to speak. They took a cat scan and she's showing signs of a stroke. Now their doing an MRI, and then will be transferring her to the childrens hospital. This waiting is killing me!!! Please pray for her!!!!!

She's now in ICU. She had a stroke, it's affected her speech, and she can barely move her right side. this is third hospital they transferred her to. she'll be here for 7-10 days, then she will go to rehab for physical and speech therapy.shes getting really frustrated because she cant talk. she can make noise but cant form the word. but she is alert and aware of whats going on, and that's good.

The Dr said the stroke was caused by a dissected artery. There are 2 arteries leading to the brain, and the lining in one of the arteries came loose, folded over and blocked her artery. They said usually this type of stroke is caused by some sort of head injury, but in some cases (like my daughters) it just happens, She is talking better today. she is aware of whats going on around her, and knows she cannot talk right so its frustrating for her. She is scared, worried, and has a long road ahead. But she is an awesome kid and I have full faith that she will make 100% recovery!

Here she is! My beautiful girl!

They have taken her out of ICU! AND they had her walk(with help) upstairs to her new room. She is talking much better, but still somewhat slurred. Getting ready to go back up there for the night. Still dont have much time to come online, but I'm sure you understand!

6-11-11

She was released from the hospital tuesday, and admitted into rehab. She is walking by herself and took a shower with no help today. Her speach is good, but she still has a problems finding the right words sometimes. They are looking at tuesday for her to come home. She will still have to have physical theray and speech therapy. She kicked this stroke right in the teeth! She also has a great attitude about everything. I praise God everyday for restoring her, I know she will be back to 100% very soon.

Sorry it's taken a min to update. She got home 6/14. She is tired all the time, has short term memory loss and some aphasia. They discovered she has a hole in her heart, we will find out more about that in a couple of weeks when we see a cardiologist. But apparently it had nothing to do with her stroke. They also discovered she has a blood disorder called factor V (five), which makes her blood a little thicker than normal. This apparently didn't cause her stroke either. They said the stroke was caused by a dissected artery. But it was her carotid artery that dissected, and there is no way to fix it. So she only has one artery left to "feed" her brain. This, along with the blood disorder, and her having had a stroke has put her at high risk for having another one. If she ahs another one, odds are she won't survive with just one artery. So they put her on a blood thinner. On this drug she has to be careful, and not engage in potentially dangerous activities, contact sports, wakeboarding, skiing etc. because of the risk of bleeding out, due to the medication. This drug also causes severe birth defects, so they want to put her on the IUD to make sure she doesnt get pregnant before she's ready. Once she wants to get pregnant, she has to take a different kind of blood thinner thats safe for pregnancy, it just requires a shot everyday instead of a pill. She has speech therapy 2 times a week, physical therapy twice a week, and they're talking about having her see an occupational therapist as well. So thats wherre we are now!

So it's now over two years since she had her first stroke. She had a second stroke in October 2011, just 4 months after the first, and has had a few TIAs. However, she has recovered well. She graduated high school, with her class in May, she working at a DRs office as a lab technician, is moving into her own apartment September 1st, and plans on starting college this fall. She has some physical deficits, such as muscle spasicity in her right hand and foot. It causes her hand and foot to curl in an awkward looking position. She has somewhat of a limp, from muscle weakness on her right side. She will have to be on anticoagulants for the rest of her life. Other than that you wouldn't know anything was wrong. She's grown to be a strong, beautiful woman, and I'm so proud of her for getting through this and keeping her beautiful spirit. I truly believe all the prayers and positive thoughts helped us through our journey. Thank you cafemom!

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jayzwife
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM
omg! sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LollipopDreams
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM
Praying for her. That must be so scary for both of you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
roxy27
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM

All my prayers. I'm so sorry

juicebox.
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

I'm so sorry.

BabyMills09

hope everything is ok!!

zoiezmom
praying for her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM
I am so sorry!

I pray everything is fine & for a full recovery!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emilysmom8
by Dawn on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:41 PM

She is in my thoughts... keep us updated

jjones0461
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM
Prayers sent up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amylovesnick07
by Bronze Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 7:42 PM

sending prayers her way!!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)