Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He looks like a girl and gender roles/bias.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:23 PM
  • 18 Replies

Why do people feel so inclined to say a young boy with long hair looks like a girl?  So? What if he does?  Little girls with short hair look like boys.  Pre-pubescent kids often don't have features that distinctively show their sex.

I have never told a parent that their daughter looked like a boy just because she had short hair. It is okay for girls to have short or long hair and not have people making snide comments about it, why have a double standard for a boy. 

I really don't need my 12 year old boy looking like some "man".  I don't care that he has feminine features.  He is a kid. He hasn't went through puberty yet. Why do so many people care if he "looks like a girl". 

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
smarshy
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I don't know.. I just think he looked like the youngest Hanson brother.

I didn't think he looked like a girl though.

2rays0fsun
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:26 PM

I hear you, it's pretty rude if you ask me. I mean it's one thing when ppl ask if a baby is a boy or girl ... like u said you really can't tell Lol. People ask me all the time if my dd is a boy (she's 14 mos) esp since I don't put bows etc in her hair, usually just leave it curly. I understand that but at 12 yrs old everyone knows your ds is a boy, why even make the comments.

myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM

I wanted to show him the post about people making positive comments about his change in hairstyles, but a few bitches messed that up because they feel good making negative comments about a child.

Quoting 2rays0fsun:

I hear you, it's pretty rude if you ask me. I mean it's one thing when ppl ask if a baby is a boy or girl ... like u said you really can't tell Lol. People ask me all the time if my dd is a boy (she's 14 mos) esp since I don't put bows etc in her hair, usually just leave it curly. I understand that but at 12 yrs old everyone knows your ds is a boy, why even make the comments.

2rays0fsun
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:29 PM

you have very handsome kids btw ! :) you must have hands full with those boys... 

I really wanna boy :( lol

2rays0fsun
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Quoting myfoursonsks:

I wanted to show him the post about people making positive comments about his change in hairstyles, but a few bitches messed that up because they feel good making negative comments about a child.

Quoting 2rays0fsun:

sorry, that's kind of f*d up. Idk if ppl think before they open their mouths and say things about KIDS. I mean really.

twocutetwins09
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Did it get deleted?

crazymom21
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM
My husband gave our oldest daughter now 5 a buzz when she was 2. People are just stupid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:37 PM

No, it is still there.  Click

Quoting twocutetwins09:

Did it get deleted?

michaelabitner
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:43 PM

i honestly don't know why people feel the need to say that. i think little boys with long hair are adorable!!! i don't care what length a kids hair is, as long as they are comfortable with it.

myfoursonsks
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Thanks! I really want a girl still.  I need to get to working on that.

Your girls are very pretty, but that doesn't surprise me because every time I see your avi, you always strike me as being very beautiful.  You are one that stands out to me. Not trying to be creepy or anything, but you are very pretty.

Quoting 2rays0fsun:

you have very handsome kids btw ! :) you must have hands full with those boys... 

I really wanna boy :( lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)