• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

National Guard wives does your DH have trouble keeping a civilian job?

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM
  • 2 Replies

I was just wondering because mine does. He has a lot of training and schools and such and is gone 1/3 of the year, sometimes much more than that. This year he is deployed. He has been fired several times. Always around the times of long trainings or deployment or AT. We have never been able to prove anything. Kentucky is an at will state and nobody ever says, "oh, we are firing you because we don't want to deal with you being gone all the time."

I was just wondering because I thought it was just us and then it was on the news the other night and my friend told me her DH was fired six months ago shortly after telling his boss about the deployment. Mine has been unemployed since march. We are struggling so much just to make it. It looks like it is going to be okay, but we had to get a Red Cross emergency loan in order to make all our bills this month. Now that he is deployed he will make good money and we can catch up, but he is going active ASAP because we just cannot live like this any longer. Nobody around here wants to emply a soldier :(

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
starlighthippie
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:41 PM

bump

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 8:45 PM

JEEZ what a bunch of buggers.  At will laws stink for this as one of the reasons..... From what i understand it is illegal to fire a person due to their military status but with at will they dont have to give any reason.   I hope things work out soon for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)