Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

S/O: accomplishments vs Things you're supposed to do

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM
  • 19 Replies
Less than 2 weeks from my own wedding anniversary, I have to say that I don't consider staying married an accomplishment. Once I took my vows, staying married is just, well, sh&t im supposed to do.
Like paying bills...i opened the accounts, I should pay them.
Doing my schoolwork...I wanted to go to school.
Putting gas in my car...I bought the car.

Sure we will celebrate our anniversary and the day we took our vows. But I won't expect anyone's congrats.

In addition, I don't sew engagement or marriage as an accomplishment. It's cause for celebration and it's exciting, but if you feel like you accomplished something, you might have been trying too hard to get that ring! I will give a hearty congrats because it's awesome, but not because you deserve a ribbon for your efforts!

Accomplishments(to me):

Graduating any kind of school starting with high school(before that, it's "sh&t you're supposed to do).

Recovering from/ battling a serious illness.

Starting a business.

Getting a job.

Any milestones for children who are delayed.

Good grades.

Learning or mastering a skill.

I'm sure there are others. And sure I celebrate other things like birthdays and my son's first steps, but because they are noteworthy to ME snd my family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM
Sorry for typos, my finers are bandaged
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brooklynsmom119
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:45 PM
Good grades and graduating from college in my house fell under something you were suppose to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:47 PM
Well for me college is something im supposed to do. But not everyone can afford it.
Many of my family members have severe learning disabilities, so good grades are hard won.

Quoting Brooklynsmom119:

Good grades and graduating from college in my house fell under something you were suppose to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM
High school is something you are supposed to do.

Good grades, something you are supposed to do.

Graduating from college, something you are supposed to do.

Even getting married is something you are supposed to do with the way I was raised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM
I guess I am not assuming everyone is raised the same way or has the same financial circumstances.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Even getting married is something you are supposed to do with the way I was raised.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brooklynsmom119
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:30 AM
I couldn't afford college but financial aid made it possible, loans, grants and scholarships make it possible

Quoting abstractmommy:

I guess I am not assuming everyone is raised the same way or has the same financial circumstances.

Quoting happymommy1105:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I totally agree with you.

We will be married for 13 yrs this year and while I'm happy and excited, I see it as something I promised to do, so it's not really an "accomplishment" per se.

Your list looks pretty good to me.  Esp the kdg graduation..."Sh*t  you're supposed to do..." LOL

.kk.
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:34 AM

For some people, getting out of bed in the morning is an accomplishment.

I started the coffee pot this morning. yay me.

Gorilla_Mama
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:35 AM

High school - Your supposed to do

Good grades - Your supposed to do

Get a job - (unless married and financially able to be a SAHM) Your supposed to do

I do agree though, it's great to celebrate these things, but they're not really "accomplishments"

Kaelaasmom
by on Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:38 AM
Staying married can be looked at as an accomplishment, especially for couples who have had a hard road.

My husband and I will celebrate 10 years of marriage in August. As I look back at everything we have been through in these years, I feel a sense of accomplishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)