Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

school clothes and holiday shopping when do you start? looking for tips

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:50 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am trying to re evulate the  ay i run the house, trying to save money better and prepare better, the holidays seem to sneak up on us and hurt a little because dds birthday is a fe days before hand and ds a few days after. This year I have two kids I have to school clothes shop for, what I am thinking is starting back to school next month, kmart and sears have lay away plans so maybe that will keep us from getting overwhelmed and we dont have to get everything all at once, then as soon as that lay away is done, ill start xmas, the older they get the more expensive things get, so things I know they would love i can put away now, last year son wanted one particular thing but it was out of our price range due to we were moving, so if i start early we wont get hit so hard, hubby and i wear our clothes until they are just threads so we can get them more, so i was thinking hubby and I could also get new winter clothing as well.

do you have any money saving tips or tricks to not get so hard when these times roll around? oh i get alot of kids stuff at once upon a child and childrens consigment shops, alot of the time i cant find much for my son, hes very tall for his age but very skinny so he needs pants with the adjustable waiste i usally always get lucky at the consigments stores with dd

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:52 PM

I bought school clothing for DD last year while the after christmas sales went on, i bought a size up for her so that she could grow into them.

mommywife06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:53 PM
I shop for Christmas for a few things during September. School I start 3 weeks before school but only because we live on post so things go on sale later than most stores. Christmas I just finish up through the year and then wait until a week before Christmas to get the nee special toys my kids want
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chocolat-smiles
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:56 PM

bump

RoseWall
by Ruby Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:57 PM

i pick up a few things over the summer from thriftstores. . but do most of it a week before the first day of school.  they grow so fast. i dont want to have stuff they can not wear by the time school starts. i buy the shoes witha  coupon i get from the school supplies shopping. i think i buy them on the second week after school starts. not exactly sure.

connietrrll
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I just watched for all the sales! Usually the end of July stores start with things like buy one get one free (or 50% off) for underwear and socks! I pick them up so that I don't have to later! During the summer, I will buy my son some pants, and t-shirts. I usually wait for the dress clothes till just before school!
I already started Christmas shopping for the little kids in our family!

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Jun. 4, 2011 at 10:59 PM

I usually buy clothes at the end of the season a size bigger (mostly pjs). Kohls always seems to have good sales and the sale prices can be cheaper then when it goes on clearance.

Toys just look for good sales throughout the year. Be aware of stores that price match I got 4 Toy Story operation games at Target for $2 apiece. They were $5 at Walmart took ad to Target they price matched and I had a Target coupon for $3 off Operation so $2 each plus tax $9 for 4 games.

connietrrll
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:02 PM

Oh and I pick up utensils (pens paper, and all that stuff) here and there. Through out the summer! Walmart usually has 150 sheets of paper for .50. So, when I go grocery shopping I pick them up. The also have pencils for a $1, and crayons, and all that kind of stuff. Picking them up a few at a time takes a lot off the back to school expenses!

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM
I have already started :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommie2Kailen
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM

I buy a size or 2 bigger usually at the end of the previous season, then we try to start in july for school clothes and aug for bdays and christmas. My son Kailens bday is Nov, and ben is oct..then mine and hubbys bdays are after christmas, jan for us both.. I have to prepare and start early Goodluck..

SonKssdPchPlus1
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:13 PM

I was on a major budget last Christmas/Hanukkah and I was able to buy Gifts for less than $10 and we also bought them a bunch of new outfits which were all on sale,this holiday season I will be on a strict budget but I have been looking for a job but no luck,when school season comes around we shop in late August for supplies and clothing.I buy my kids clothes at walmart,they have cute outfits and clothes that last a while,my daughter has a bunch of cute shirts she got last year and they still are wearable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)