• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Here comes my stupid first time mom questions, so everyone get ready.

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:00 PM
  • 51 Replies

I'm expecting my first baby. I'm, naturally, worrying about every little detail. Just a few questions for those who already have kids.

1~ Is it really necessary for me to be buying special laundry detergent (baby laundry detergent or whatever it's called) for me to wash his clothes in, or can I wash them in the same laundry detergent that I wash my husband and I's in?

2~ My son is due in just a few weeks. His crib is on backorder (long story..) and may or may not get here by time he does. In the event he doesn't, we have a bassinet and a pack n play for him to sleep in. Are these ok, or should I go out and buy a crib to hold us over until his arrives?

3~ What exactly is "nursery water" and is it necessary?

Pregnancy Ticker

by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommywife06
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:03 PM
Ok first question no you don't. My son action breaks out from dreft too much fragrance.
Second question bassinet is what my daughter slept in until she got too big for it. Pack n play used for naps.
Third question nursery water is just purified water. I would buy a purifier and it should be ok. If not I boiled faucet water(enough for a days worth of formula) and used it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Embers88
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:04 PM

1.) I have never bought special detergent for my son and he is fine. That's usually just for babies who are sensitive to regular detergent.

2.) You won't need the crib right away. My son slept in his bassinet until he learned how to get up on his hands and knees, then I moved him.

3.)I never used nursery water. But I live somewhere where we have GOOD tap water, so that's what I used. If you are uncomfortable with that then you can use bottled water or nursery water. Now that I think about it... I have never met anyone who actually used nursery water...

CONGRATULATIONS!!

LiveLifeLoving
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Thank you so much! That really helped me. :) I'm stressing so much about this damn crib situation, but my husband thinks I'm crazy lol.

WINLPHZTLOML
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:06 PM

1 no u dont need dreft

2 my daughters preferred there bouncy over anything else i even asked the pediatrician and she said it was fine

3 i have no clue lol

congrats on ur  baby its the best thing in the world

00momma00
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:07 PM

1- I never did this, my kids are fine! I did use less detergent though.

2-You could put the bassinet in your room and the pack and play in the living area of your home. It should come in handy to have a couple places to lay the baby.

3-Nursery water is the biggest rip off, EVER! If you have a questionable water supply, this makes sence, other than that, just say no!

MrS.GiFFord
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:08 PM

wtf is nursery water??? youre crazy

Misery_Stitches
1 - if baby has sensitive skin then yes, but if not you can get away with normal washing powder. As a new born i washed with just 1/4 amount of the normal powder.

2 - my first only ever had a pack and play but even then mostly co slept. Cribs are not really needed for many families

3. I think it is water you can buy for formula, not really sure as i breastfeed mine but i do know it is also not needed, cool boiled tap water is fine too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mysweetmelissa
Dreft has more perfumes than anything I've ever used. I bought and used it for our stuff bc it smells good, but it was awful on Melissa's skin. I used free and clear formulas until recently (she's 8 months). Now I use our regular detergent on her stuff. You just have to play it by ear.

Pack n play is just fine. We use one as her bed when we travel.

We've never used nursery water. We use a Zero water pitcher or Aquafina, our city water is garbage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kshepherd
I can use the same detergent just keep an eye on your son's skin. Bassinets are amazing. He probably won't sleep in his crib for awhile. I never used nursery water. We just used our filtered pitcher.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
k_hall1784
by on Jun. 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM
You don't need special detergent unless baby has sensitive skin.

A pack & play/bassinet is just fine. My 12 month old used one.

No, you don't need nursery water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)