Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

at the end of my rope!! ahhh

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM
  • 19 Replies
My daughter (just turned 5) is so damn disagreeable!! I can't take it! She argues with me ALL DAY about EVERYTHING. She can act snobby and know it all at times. I literally can't get through a conversation with her because shell turn it into an arguement. What is going on?!? Is it the age? Nothing in our parenting has changed, were consistent with discipline etc. She just is so stubborn and its like she wants to cause trouble! :(I don't get it! Also, what punishment seems to work best with your child around this age? I feel like time outs and even getting sent to her room aren't really doing it anymore. Taking away a toy wouldn't help either because she doesn't have one special favorite or anything. Any other suggestions?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SimplyMagical
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:06 PM

I think it may be the age my 4 1/2 year old is going through the same thing, he has become very argumentative lately. I know how your feeling. I haven't found a way to get him to stop, our discipline has stayed the same as well, time outs and sometimes when he really pushes his toys get taken away. 

Leslie120
by on Jun. 14, 2011 at 8:14 PM
Ugh, so I guess we have to ride the storm out huh? Lol. I just hope its a phase...and not a permanant new attitude!! Grr

Quoting SimplyMagical:

I think it may be the age my 4 1/2 year old is going through the same thing, he has become very argumentative lately. I know how your feeling. I haven't found a way to get him to stop, our discipline has stayed the same as well, time outs and sometimes when he really pushes his toys get taken away. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 4:58 AM

let her make decisions so then she cannot argue with her own decision.

itsallabtthem84
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2011 at 4:59 AM

BUMP!

MeandB
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 5:11 AM
My daughter is 4.5 and acts the same way. I tell her we will not be talking until she can be nice and not be so rude to me. And she is free to talk to me nicely. If she chooses to be rude, I will stop talking and she will go to her room. She either throws a mondo fit and goes to her room, or apologizes. Frustrating isn't it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2_3blessings
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 5:12 AM

Def. not the age my dd is 5 and does not do this. Hate to say it but she has learned it and seen it from somewhere.

NoRest4theWickd
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 5:21 AM
Hate to tell you but it is the age.. it's developmentally appropriate for kids this age to yesterday limits and boundaries ... maybe you DD just hasn't reached that developmental stage yet.. *shrugs*

Quoting mom2_3blessings:

Def. not the age my dd is 5 and does not do this. Hate to say it but she has learned it and seen it from somewhere.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NoRest4theWickd
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 5:22 AM
Lol. Test limits not yesterday DYAC!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2_3blessings
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 5:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Or...maybe she knows not to play that nonsense and my boundaries can't be tested and is more mature. "shrugs"

Quoting NoRest4theWickd:

Hate to tell you but it is the age.. it's developmentally appropriate for kids this age to yesterday limits and boundaries ... maybe you DD just hasn't reached that developmental stage yet.. *shrugs*

Quoting mom2_3blessings:

Alaska ;)

** My family is my life my everything what I live for **

NoRest4theWickd
by on Jun. 15, 2011 at 5:25 AM
Give her several options and let her choose and remind her that whatever the outcome, it was her decision and she has to live with the consequences .. good or bad ..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)