Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Say your child ate way too many vitamins...

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM
  • 47 Replies

& you called poison control to get information, would they report you for neglect or anything like that?

My 4 year old asked for his vitamins earlier and I told him no, because he had already had his 2 vitamins this morning. So I put them in my room and that was the end of it. A little while later he got in trouble for something so I sent him to his room and I was doing laundry downstairs. He comes back down with the empty bottle and says "Ha-ha I ate them all anyways!"I had heard him come out of his room, but I thought he had gone to use the bathroom, which I told him was the only reason he could come out, and normally he listens.

Ugh, I didnt even know he knew how to open them and he was supposed to be in his room. Anyway, poison control said he might have an upset stomach but he should be fine (he ate like 12). But he took down all my contact information, my  name, Eli's name, address, phone number, ect. I explained to the man at the control center that I had put them away in my room, he knows not to go in there, and I didnt even think he knew how to get them opened. And he pretty much just talked to me like I was the worst parent ever. :-/

Is that just standard procedure?


by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM

I doubt they will.

happymom629
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:11 PM

NO.

I actually had to call poison control - mine ate half a bottle of the gummy ones

They will not report you, but if you are really concerned, just give them a fake first name and say you are calling because your sister's child did it but she (your sister) didn't call poison control so you are.

happymom629
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

Oh wait, just read the rest of the post, but NO they should NOT call on you.

But if you are still worried, just don't answer the door when they come, then they will have to get a warrant and no judge will give them a warrant over that I think

crazy4u49033
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

nope, they may call and follow up with you, but as long as it is just vitamins and it doesnt happen everyday you are fine.

heatherhall29
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:13 PM

no I had to call once because I was unsure if my son had sprayed my lysol kitchen cleaner in his mouth or not I do not think he did because he never got sick.

Devious103102
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:52 PM

No. And honestly I don't think it's a big issue. If your body doesn't need the vitamins it'll, literally, just flush them out of your system when you pee (this is where the term "pissing your money away" came from).

MBAwife2010
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 7:54 PM

It happened with us, no we were not reported. Somehow a bottle fell out of a grocery bag in the back seat and she got ahold of them in her car seat. She was fine. According to them she pretty much would have had to eat the whole dang bottle. 

Plus-size-mommy
by StarBaby on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:08 PM

No, honey, they will not report you! I called Poison Control when my kid was a baby because I was a paranoid mommy lol! He got the Desitin open once and ate it!!

staceyjoy
by on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I did the EXACT same thing to my mom when I was a kid! She went to do laundry and I started eating smurfs vitamins like they were going out of style. She gave me this really long descriptive talk about having your stomach pumped.

I remember it vividly.

I also find the whole thing quite funny now. Lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 16, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Nope.  Children have downed far worse things. They get your info for follow up or something.   Hopefully he wont get too big of a tummyache. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)