Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Unexplained Weight Loss in 7 yr old???

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM
  • 6 Replies
I went to the doc yesterday with my 7 yr old cus she had a fever and rash. The rash turned out to be nothing. But, when they weighed her she had lost 5 lbs since her last appt 3 weeks ago. he doc is supposed to call me today to discuss it (we say a diff doc, not her at the pediatrician's office). I do not know what to think. How worried should I be? has anyone had this happened. I have been looking on google and any reasons I can find for weight loss in a 7 yr old is not good. I would love any input form you girls. thanks!

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 7 yrs, Lilly 4 yrs, Molly 1 yr. and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence  survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am an attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-)That is me in a nutshell!     

by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
othermom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Has she been eating less due to not feeling good. Was she wearing shoes both times, or heavier clothes the first time. Part of it could simply be the diffrent scale and it reads diffrent. Has she gone through a grpwth spurt, been exercising more. I know my kids weight fluctuates a little at time, sometimes a couple pounds in the summer when they are more active and eat a little less.

I hope that everything is okay and that it is nothing serious.

momof2little1s
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Quoting othermom:

Has she been eating less due to not feeling good. Was she wearing shoes both times, or heavier clothes the first time. Part of it could simply be the diffrent scale and it reads diffrent. Has she gone through a grpwth spurt, been exercising more. I know my kids weight fluctuates a little at time, sometimes a couple pounds in the summer when they are more active and eat a little less.

She has a tually been eating more than normal lately which makes it even weirder. No shoes both times and it is the same exact scale. She has been exercising more- t ball, and gymnastics. I ave always thought she had some kinda issue with hydration in the summer....cus she get SOO hot and drink a Ton. So I am wondering about diabetes.

I am Kelly, 32 yr old Mom of 4 Girls!  Caitlin 7 yrs, Lilly 4 yrs, Molly 1 yr. and my angel Elysse born 2/05/08, married to my wonderful husband Jeff for 6 yrs,  I am a domestic violence  survivor,  infant loss survivor, swine flu  medically induced coma survivor,  I am an attatchment parenting momma, non CIO momma, mom of an awesome daughter with autism, and a passionate breastfeeding momma who will breastfeed anywhere anytime my baby is hungry, I have multible life long disabilities but am determined to not let them stop me, My girls are my everything and I live for them! =-)That is me in a nutshell!     

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Its summer, most people eat less and are more active. Especially if you are in a state that gets snowed in during the winter.

Plus if she had a fever she may be eating less, its out bodies way to keep from feeling worse is to not be as hungry.  I never force my kids to even take a bit of food if they are sick, and are just not hungry. I'm sure they lose some weight during that illness but put it right back on once they feel better.

Pnukey
by Jennifer on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Check her thyroid. It's a simple blood test. If it's overacting, she'd be losing weight. They can fix that. My dd's thyroid went crazy when she was 8.

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:24 AM

well eating for calories generally would help to sustain her weight with all the extra stuff she's doing.  Could have her checked for worms.  You can eat a ton but still lose weight because the worms are eating the nutrients and not sharing.. 

If its only during the summer that she drinks a lot then I doubt diabetes this would be a yr round thing. 

Quoting momof2little1s:

Quoting othermom:

She has a tually been eating more than normal lately which makes it even weirder. No shoes both times and it is the same exact scale. She has been exercising more- t ball, and gymnastics. I ave always thought she had some kinda issue with hydration in the summer....cus she get SOO hot and drink a Ton. So I am wondering about diabetes.

ginabear1
by on Jun. 30, 2011 at 9:25 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)