Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does it look like a smiley face to you too?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you see the smiley face too?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 17

View Results

Something Old, New, Borrowed and Blue

Something old, something new 
Something borrowed, something blue 
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.

This old Victorian rhyme has provided the long-standing superstitions for brides to ensure good luck, a happy married life and everlasting love and security.

‘Something Old’ is to signify the connections you have established, with your family and friends, and your carry over of your old values to your new life. Some versions of this tradition have a happily married woman giving the new bride an old garter as a symbol of a happy marriage. Other symbols will be pictures of family, heirloom jewelry, a love letter from your parents, or a piece of old lace sewn into the hem of the new gown.

‘Something New’ represents a new beginning, hope and optimism for a happy life. The wedding ring or flowers are the something new usually associated with this part of the tradition.

‘Something Borrowed’ affords the bride’s family a chance to offer a token of their love and affection to the bride (which must be returned for the good luck to carry over). The item can come from a mother, father, grandparent or someone you admire close to you, and could be a prayer book, a piece of jewelry, or something that is valued by the person offering the loan.

‘Something Blue’ signifies fidelity and constancy, hence the proverb: "Marry in blue, lover be true."

The custom of having the bride carry something blue began in ancient Israel where brides wore a blue ribbon in their hair to symbolize their fidelity. In ancient Rome, blue portrayed love, modesty and fidelity. In Christianity, the Virgin Mary has always been dressed in blue in paintings and sculpture as the icon of purity and virtue. And, prior to the late 19th century, blue, not white, was the popular color for wedding gowns.

Something blue can be piece of jewelry with blue in it, a blue compact, a handkerchief with blue ribbon, a blue pin, or blue trim on a garter.

‘Sixpence’ is placed in the shoe to bring the couple wealth and financial security in their married life. Brides following this tradition still place a coin in their left shoe during the marriage ceremony.

Life is hard, and God is good.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwayskk
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:12 AM
Yes....and shiney
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:14 AM
Yep a creepy one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jollymommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:20 AM

lol

Quoting thehickinhickor:

Yep a creepy one

jollymommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:20 AM

every time I see it, it makes me laugh. 

jollymommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Do ya think they did that on purpose?

jollymommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:22 AM

'cuz really, it just jumped out at me.  lol

msmoody
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:28 AM

Displayed like that, it does....but so does any necklace/earring set.

jollymommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:35 AM

BUMP!

LCWAmommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM
it reminds me of the grinches evil smile
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jollymommy
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 2:42 AM

lol.  only blue and shiney.  :}

Quoting LCWAmommy:

it reminds me of the grinches evil smile

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)