Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if you use your childs middle name as their primary name...

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:08 AM
  • 80 Replies
Why? My ex father in law went by his middle name his whole life, as does my brother in law. Both cases were because that's what they were called as children. I don't understand (unless they're a Jr and you like the middle name better) why you wouldn't just have named them their middle name if that's what you planned to call them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
personal.legend
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:10 AM
Lol! My brother went by his middle name because my mom liked it better than his first. But I guess Steven Brad sounds better than Brad Steven. Makes sense to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moms2NTwins
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:18 AM

I never planned on calling ds9 by his middle name, but after he was about a month old, his middle name just seemed to fit him better. His fn is Jarrett and his middle name Isaiah. 

Bree88
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:19 AM

I gave my kids a good middle name to go by if they decide they don't like their first names. My DD is Delilah Renee - if she gets older and decides she doesn't like Delilah (or Lilah as we usually call her) we will call her by Renee if she wants. 

Same for DS, his name is Elliot Jay. 

My sister is doing the same thing... she is due this month and her sons full name will be Luke James Grant. They will let him go by Luke or James when he's older. 

Stitchxx
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:37 AM

Why not?  In my dd's case (She generally goes by her middle), it would have sounded stupid to have her middle name first.  Her first name is beautiful and her middle name is short and was perfect to use during her toddler years.  Now that she's getting older, she's chosen to be called her first name at school, but her bff's and family call her by her middle name.  She doesn't have a problem with it and likes it that way.

diane-b
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:40 AM

I do and DH does ... 

mamak57
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 5:41 AM

i called them by their first names but of the six siblings in my immediate family. NONE of us go by our given name. Weizie did not go by Floretta, Annie did not go by Ruby and the rest of us shortened our first names or used a  nick name. Mom named us after people which is great UNLESS they are crappy names to begin with

here comes trouble

autumn_sunset
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:13 AM
I liked both names & Wesley Cole sounds better than Cole Wesley.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2dane07
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:16 AM
I wanted to name him Dane and the only name I like to go with it (Harrison) didn't sound right as a middle name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thehickinhickor
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:30 AM
I go by my middle name sometimes my grandmother name was jessie so my biological mom call me Nichole but my grandmother called me nikki
I call Izabella Izzy or I use her middle name because I love it also so I call.her lyllian she understand that there all her names
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cherish77
by Cherish on Jul. 8, 2011 at 6:36 AM

My mom says its an Midwest thing, she always knew her dad as Robert, but his family called him Lambert, and his brother and sister both went by their middle names as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)