Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I asking too much really???

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:29 AM
  • 166 Replies

My SO's family is going to a baseball game in town Saturday.  Half of them live here all the time but part of his family is flying in from other states and his cousin who is in the military will be gone for 3 years in a few months so this is the last time hell be around for a while.  here's the thing they want him and I to go to this game with them and to bring our 1 week old newborn! to me that is insane! First off to expect me to walk around a baseball stadium secondly to bring our newborn to a dirty nasty crowded stadium for hours!

His family always tailgates for a few hours before the game to so it would be like 6 hours.  Her being a newborn to begin with, on top of that I'm breastfeeding so I'll have to feed her 2-3 times while we're there and change her at least 3 times.  My SO has been really quiet about the whole thing and I just keep telling him no but he keeps asking "so, what's up for saturday?" Like I'm going to change my mind, I can tell he wants to go and me to just suck it up.  I think it's ridiculous to even think we should go. 

I think it's even a bad idea for him to go alone honestly.  He has this weekend left off of work to help me out with OUR newborn and for him to go spend the majority of a day at a baseball game seems really selfish to me. And his dad keeps saying that they want to see him and the baby so they obviously want her to come too. Is it just e or should they do something to accomodate us, the ones with the NEWBORN, or am I being unrealistic.  Like meet up for a picnic at a park before the game so we can go to that for an hour or two?? That seems realistic.  

Alright ladies what do you think? Am I overreacting? Should we go? Should I tell him he should just go alone? What should I do?

EDIT***  I can see where in my post it sounds like I don't want him to go to the game if I'm not going.  That's not it.  He hasn't brought up going alone at all yet, and I would like him to stay home to help around the house a little before he goes back to work his crazy schedule and for us to spend some time together but if he wants to go I'm not going to tell him no.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tennis4lissa
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:34 AM

bump!

momto3infl
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:38 AM

I personally would go-but that is me.  And if I didnt feel like going I woulnt care if SO went, I a mean soon he would be working and I would be home alone with baby so not a big deal.

yezay
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM

He should have the option to go but if he does he should go alone.  If you know you're going to be miserable there's no need being trapped for 6 hours and he can't take the newborn where you're breastfeeding.  If they want to see the baby they can either stop by before or after the game.  He deserves family time and he didn't choose the activity so try not to take it out on him just let him know that you expect him to give 100 percent to you and the baby the rest of the weekend!

BraxtonsMom07
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:40 AM
I would stay home, I would want my hubby to stay with me. Unless he just went for an hour or so!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momofqk
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM

If I did not feel up to going with the baby I would tell SO to go without me.

JazzyMommyx3
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:41 AM
I agree with the PP either I would go or not but I wouldn't say anything about my DH going simply because its family and if a family member is leaving and that's the last chance to see them I would def let him go at least...
The picnic idea is good have you talked to them about that? And then maybe you can go home and the rest to the game?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MadJack607
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:42 AM

Quoting momto3infl:

I personally would go-but that is me.  And if I didnt feel like going I woulnt care if SO went, I a mean soon he would be working and I would be home alone with baby so not a big deal.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Goofygadget
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Quoting momto3infl:

BabyFruit Ticker

tennis4lissa
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:47 AM

Quoting yezay:

He should have the option to go but if he does he should go alone.  If you know you're going to be miserable there's no need being trapped for 6 hours and he can't take the newborn where you're breastfeeding.  If they want to see the baby they can either stop by before or after the game.  He deserves family time and he didn't choose the activity so try not to take it out on him just let him know that you expect him to give 100 percent to you and the baby the rest of the weekend!

Maybe that's why I'ma little more iritated about this than I normally would be too is because he hasn't been helping me out very much since we've been home.  We went over to his dad's house for a little while the other day and I held her the whole time while she was fussy, when we went to my mom's either she held her or I held her.  I wanted this weekend to be a good few days with just the 3 of us to get some good quality time in and now its going to be all about the baseball game.  He'll get up late saturday, go to his dad's, they'll go to the game, he won't get home til at least 10, then sleep in sunday, and he has to go to bed at like 7 because he gets up really early for work.  So we'll get a few hours sunday afternoon.  Gr.  I just don't see why his family couldn't think a little bit.  Now I'm gonna be the b to everyone. 

MommaNoonoo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:47 AM
Can you go and tailgate for a little bit and then go home? I'd not I would tell DH to go on. I would not want him to miss out on a last outing with a family member.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)