Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

August 1st update**A post for the record books..Long & pic heavy but definitely worth the read..nasty pics..EDIT.more pics page 36.EDIT#2

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:58 AM
  • 709 Replies

We have a rental. A 3/2 singlewide mobile home that is our old house.  We rented it out to DH "family". A couple he has known for 20 years and their 3 kids.  Well, it is time to renew their lease and I went down there yesterday to do an "inspection" and to measure the kitchen because we were going to put in new appliances since Lowe's is having a pretty good sale this week.  I walked into the front door and this is the first thing I see..

Disgusting huh?  Wait it gets better..

They have their youngest child (13 year old girl) living in the dining room/kitchen because her older sister got tired of sharing a room with her. Notice the beer boxes?  This dude is our employee, that drives our company truck, that deals with our customers on a daily basis. I'm slightly pissed over that.

Onward to the kitchen..

YUMMY!!

Still hungry?  Give me a minute and I'll take care of that for you..

Master bathroom/bedroom 

Now for the kids rooms and 2nd bathroom..

Oldest kids room-15 year old boy

middle child-14 year old girl

I handed them a letter yesterday stating that we were NOT renewing their lease on August 1st.  I've already contacted our local Judge should we need to file eviction papers and have them forcefully removed. Contacted my Allstate agent as well.  After they are out he is sending an adjuster out to look at the mold and other damages.  It might be easier to write the house off and just get another one.  But we have to wait and see.

I guess the whole point in sharing this is if you rent to someone, BE CAREFUL!!  Family or not, the will FU*% you over big time.  If you rent from someone, take the time to realize that your nastiness effects someone elses pocket book.  I'm looking at over $15,000 to replace walls, carpet, appliances and to have the bug people come out and get rid of everything..

Now I dare you to try and go eat breakfast!!

I've tried answering all the questions in the posts but decided that this would be easier.  Yes both parents work.  The mom is a manager at McDonalds and the dad is our head mechanic. The kids are all teenagers and are perfectly able bodied to clean up after themselves.  They just choose not to.  I told them last week that I would be coming by in the next week or so to do an inspection and measure for new appliances.  So they had plenty of notice. They tried making excuses for it looking the way it did, but there is absolutely NO EXCUSE to do that to someone elses house.  I went by and saw our County Judge yesterday.  He has copies of the pics and was taking it upon himself to contact CPS for a child welfare checkup.  They should be out sometime today.  They signed a lease stating that they are liable for all damages done to the property from their negligence.  If the insurance won't cover anything, then I will take them to court.

I feel betrayed.  We consider them family and I was raised that family doesn't do this.   My house is far from immaculate but it's not by any means filthy.  I call my house lived in because you are always going to find something in the middle of the floor. Whether it be a shoe or a toy you will trip over something..

I had originally gone into the house to do the inspection because their lease is up on August 1st.  I have already given them a letter statting that I will NOT be renewing their lease and that they need to be gone by Midnight on August 1st.  If they are not out then I will have them served with eviction papers and forcefully removed.

I have been in the house several times over the 2 years they have lived there.  The house has always been clean and I have never seen bugs before.  They knew it was time to do an inspection to renew the lease and yet it's like they didn't care.  That I would allow them to live like that in my house and be ok with it.  

I'm truely hoping that Allstate says it's a complete loss.  I feel it will be cheaper to just replace the house than it is to repair it to the condition it was before they moved in.  If they decide to repair it, our deductable is $2000.  When we pay that Allstate should cover the rest.  I'm just thankful that we do have insurance on it. 

The dad still works for us.  Even though they let this happen, he is still a great mechanic.  I got upset with the beer boxes because he is on call 24/7 for 12 days and then has 2 days off.  During those 12 days he is not to consume alcohol.  It states so in his employment contract.  He knew what was required when he took the position. So I have every right to be a little pissed about the boxes. 

As for why they did this, I have no idea.  I feel like a fool that we trusted them enough to live there. Even gave them a break on the rent so they could afford to live in our district.  It's one of the top rated school districts in the state.

So they spent all weekend moving out. We allowed them today to clean it up.  We went down there a couple hours ago to check it out.  It's not as bad as we thought it was.  The water heater is leaking and has been for a while.  The closet in the master is soaked.  But there is linoleum under the carpet so the floor is ok but the walls have to be replaced.   Noah is thinking it's just the valve leaking and is going to change that out on the morning to see if it fixes it.  All the carpet has to come out but that's not that big of a deal.  We have to replace the wall in the small bathroom also.

Now, apparently the boy tried to commit suicide a couple weeks ago.  He found out his girlfriend of 5 months has been sleeping with other guys.  He wrote his suicide note on the wall in the green room.  His dad was telling DH all about it tonight.  Just lovely..

So I have to get the bug people to come out and then we can get down there and start ripping carpet and walls out.  Will post some new pics sometime tomorrow.  

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2girls2407
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:02 AM

WOW!!!!!! We are renting and the only thing we are dealing with is MOLD!! Why, because our basement leaks and the land lord water proofed 1 wall. The entire building has a mold problem. I don't understand how people can let a home get that disgusting.

AllieJ11
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:02 AM
All I can say is ewwwwwwwww... And I just ate breakfast, now it's on it's way back up... Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iluvmyprincess0
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:03 AM
Thats disgusting....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clowncar
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM
That's nasty and sad. Poor kids, having to live like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommaNoonoo
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM
How long have they been in there? That I crazy and makes me look like a great housekeeper!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
knagsmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM
That's disgusting. We rent and I always make sure things are well taken care of. I have kids with asthma so I keep the house dust and mold free. Sorry ur renters are so bad
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM
I would say the beer boxes are the only part that doesn't trouble me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:06 AM
Oh my GOODNESS. That's atrocious. How do people live like that?!?!?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
meliefrog
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM

2 years now.  Last year when we did the inspection, there were no bugs and no damages to the house.  It was clean too.  So all this within the last year..

Quoting MommaNoonoo:

How long have they been in there? That I crazy and makes me look like a great housekeeper!

meliefrog
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 8:08 AM

The kids are dirty too but I guess if that's what you grew up with then it's normal..

Quoting clowncar:

That's nasty and sad. Poor kids, having to live like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)