Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's your STEP-son, not your child!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM
  • 63 Replies

My step-son is coming soon for 3 weeks, which coincides with DH starting a new job. This means there will be about 30 min or so where we will both be working, and with DH being new he doesn't want to ask for special consideration. I approached my supervisor and explained the situation, and I was point blank told "That is your STEP-son, he isn't your responsibility and you don't need to get out early to watch him. That's your husbands job. Besides, he is almost 10, that's old enough to stay alone."

REALLY??

First...he's not my biological son but I still love him very much. I've had issues with him in the past due to behavioral problems stemming from all the chaos in his life. Being a step-parent is a steeper learning curve than being a parent, in my opinion. He is just as much my responsibility as my husbands. He doesn't even have his bio mom in his life right now.

Second...we just moved so he's never seen or been to the new place. I would never leave a child his age in a strange place alone for ANY period of time.

I pretty much stated both of those things and was told, again, there would be no accomodations for the situation. Ugh. I guess DH is going to have to hope his new boss is understanding.

by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DeathGoddess
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:23 AM

BUMP!

ashleigh24
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:25 AM
That is horrible. I would be pissed. If my hubby's job said that he would go off. He has been in my dd's life since she was 3 months old and is her dad no matter what anyone says. I can't believe they said that to you. I'm still shocked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom

Wow.  I would be looking for a new job. 

If his biomom isn't in his life why isn't he living with you and DH?  Sorry if that's nosy...I'm just curious, my SDs BM isn't really in her life, and she lives with us full time.

10 is not old enough to be home alone-in our state it's illegal if they are under 13.  Do you have another child?  Could your SS go where your other child goes for that half hour?

mallowcup17

:(

luv_my_xiya
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:26 AM
Can you go to someone higher? Talk to hr maybe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamatocaleb

Do you have anyone you trust in your neighborhood like a neighbor maybe that you could have watch him for those 30 mins, so that neither one of you are frowned upon by other co-workers for special treatment??? I know my DH has to take vacation or call in sick if he wants out early or to not go to work, no matter what!

summertymelove2
I would be pissed. My ss is my son and if my boss told me otherwise I would probably put him in his place. I have helped raise my ss since he was almost 2 so maybe I am different there
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CeeGee81
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Your supervisor is an asshole....

Lanie_momofone
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

is there anyone that can watch him for that 30 minutes?

Personally i would be offended too , even though he isnt your bio son he is still your responsibility as well as your dh's.

Where is he going to be during the day ? While you both are at work ?

metalhealthmom
by on Jul. 8, 2011 at 9:28 AM

my stepmom's work always treated anything that involved me as an issue that involved her child-there was never 'she's your stepdaughter and not your problem and therefore not our problem.'

in fact, when i moved in with them, they allowed her to cover me as a dependent and my insurance was through her.

she worked for the gov't. i guess thats why.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)